Macro Lens - Second Thoughts

Name
Peter Barber
Edit My Images
Yes
Okay folks

I have my 400D camera about a month and currently only have the kit lens, from which I get okay results. I really liked the look of the macro stuff and have gathered up enough dosh to get a second hand macro lens.

But I am starting to have second thoughts. Would I be better using the money to replace the kit lens with a general purpose lens. How many times am I likely to photgraph bugs before I get bored and I also like landscape, and find that I am getting more of a kick out of a good landscape.

A bee is a bee, whether I take it or someone else does, but I feel that a landscape is more personal and enjoyable.

Any advice would be much appreciated and recommendations.

Thanks

Okay folks

I have my 400D camera about a month and currently only have the kit lens, from which I get okay results. I really liked the look of the macro stuff and have gathered up enough dosh to get a second hand macro lens.

But I am starting to have second thoughts. Would I be better using the money to replace the kit lens with a general purpose lens. How many times am I likely to photgraph bugs before I get bored and I also like landscape, and find that I am getting more of a kick out of a good landscape.

A bee is a bee, whether I take it or someone else does, but I feel that a landscape is more personal and enjoyable.

Any advice would be much appreciated and recommendations.

Thanks

Maybe a halfway solution would be to buy an extension tube to use with the kit lens. A 25mm tube will give you 0.92x magnification and this is close enough to a true macro lens to find out if you're really into it....£50 should get you there.

Bob

Maybe a halfway solution would be to buy an extension tube to use with the kit lens. A 25mm tube will give you 0.92x magnification and this is close enough to a true macro lens to find out if you're really into it....£50 should get you there.

Bob

I was consiering that. For around £120, I could get a set of Kenko tubes and a nifty fity, would that be a better option.

But then would I be better using that money towards something like the sigma 17-70mm :shrug:

Why bother with the 50mm at this stage....the tubes will do just fine on the 18-55 ?

Bob

You should hold out for a lens on here mate.
I just picked up a sigma 105mm for £140 delivered on here the other day and its crackingly good

You should hold out for a lens on here mate.
I just picked up a sigma 105mm for £140 delivered on here the other day and its crackingly good

That would be preferrable to spending £60 on tubes. I will get a good portrait lens into the bargain.

What to do :bonk:

That would be preferrable to spending £60 on tubes. I will get a good portrait lens into the bargain.

What to do :bonk:
Still buy the tubes and they'll increase the mag on the macro lens when you get it. :)

Bob

Personally I'd replace the kit lens. The 18-55 that came with my 350D is awful.

But if you really fancy playing at the macro stuff a set of tubes has the be the most economical way to go.

Steve

Personally I'd replace the kit lens. The 18-55 that came with my 350D is awful.

But if you really fancy playing at the macro stuff a set of tubes has the be the most economical way to go.

Steve

Replace it with what, I like the range the kit lens gives me, and as I like landscape, something that could give me scope at the wide end would be great.

Back