Macro lens

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking at macro work using my Nikon D40.

None of my current lenses are suitable for this.

I intend to use a 50mm lens with either bellows or extension tubes.

I understand that I need a lens with both a manual focus ring and an aperture adjustment ring as I will loose the electrical connections.

Does this mean that I can use an older Nikon lens from a film SLR set-up?

Will the camera still meter for me so that I can set the F stop manually from the cameras recomendations if I am using available light?

Also will the camera meter if I use a reversing ring?

I know that flash will be hit and miss so I'll need to experiment with this.

Yes you can use one of the older lens no problems but it will be fully manual - If you get a Nikon Pb6 bellows it will allow you to reverse mount a lens and still control aperture from the bellows - the main problem is lighting and the lack of portability.

Fully manual is not really an issue to be honest. Neither is portability as it will be done at home rather than on location.

I want to do this as cheap as possible so will be using extension tubes or bellows from somewhere like deal extreme. If I get into it then I may consider the more expensive Nikon option. I wouldn't use cheap close-up filters but figure as the tubes have no glass that they would be OK.

Do I need the macro lens or will a standard lens be OK?

Does the camera still do the metering even though I have to make the settings manually?

a standard prime lens will work OK , some provide better results when reverse mounted and the focal length will determine the maximum magnification. You will need to be able to control the aperture as you will need the lens wide open to focus with lots of light and then stop it down before you take the shot. Yes the body will still meter.

You might be able to pick up an old Nikon 55mm macro AI or AIS manual lens on ebay for about £55 then you could use it forwards as well if that gives you more flexibility.

If you are going to reverse mount, I suppose it doesn't even have to be nikon, but if you do buy a nikon you've got more options.

Probably a good idea to get one with as wide an aperture as possible because it will be terribly dark focussing otherwise if using bellows at full extension.

I did the very same Andy and found that the extension tubes with a 50mm on a reversing ring gets some serious magnification. I took some of a pound coin Linky Ok not too interesting but look to have a load of potential for little outlay. I also hear that enlarger lenses are a far better quality than normal 50mm camera lenses and I have had one on order for a month now but the seller is proving hard to find and almost as hard as the lens I bought :LOL: Good luck in getting setup (y)

Thats some impressive magnification :eek:

Whats it like with the lens normally mounted on extension tubes?

Just to confirm that it is with a standard lens not a dedicated macro?

If so then I have a cunning plan :cautious:

Yes standard lens 50mm reversed. Mounted on it's own with the extension tubes is also fairly good magnification. I have a dedicated macro lens too a 50mm Sigma EX it also takes fair shots :) I'm hoping to find a 105mm sigma or Nikon for reasonable money and if so the other setups will go under the hammer.

I'm intrigued as to your cunning plan now :)

Ohh found the original thread pound coin

Last edited:
You may find this informative it gives the magnification ratio's for lens both forward and reverse mounted - Tis was taken with bellows at maximum extension with a reverse mounted 50mm lens - its a butterfly's eye.

5_1_butterfly.jpg

Now that is close !

So a standard 50mm lens such as those supplied with Nikon 35mm SLR cameras of old will suffice as I will be using full manual anyway? :cautious:

Now that is close !

So a standard 50mm lens such as those supplied with Nikon 35mm SLR cameras of old will suffice as I will be using full manual anyway? :cautious:

If you are going to mount it the correct way around it will need a Nikon mount and a aperture ring for reverse mounting you will need the correct filter size and a aperture ring.

Not at all: only AF-S lenses will work, not AF or AF-D !!! Whats about close up lenses for 18-55 VR ? http://joergvetter.oyla.de/cgi-bin/hpm_homepage.cgi BR Atomino

Not quite true - All you need is the correct mount and a aperture ring.

Back