Macro lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey I have the canon 400d and am looking for a macro lens. im hoping not to spend too much....maybe 200 at a maximum. i know that limits me but what would be the best lens to get?
cheers for any help

what are you aiming for? bugs? flowers? etc etc

have you considered the raynox range of close up lenses, they attach to your existing lens and increases magnification

if £200 is your budget then a second hand ef-s 60mm macro is really the only option but i would save for either the canon 100mm or the sigma 105mm i have had the canon 100mm and its a cracker of a lens the sigma only loses out with focus speed the iq are almost the same

what do you want to use it for....inanimate objects,insects etc......?

if you intend to shoot easily spooked insects,then you'll need a long-ish focal length...150mm,180mm,which would be well outside your budget.for stationary objects,a 50mm,100mm,105mm macro lens will do the job okay.having said that,i have the sigma 105 F/2.8 macro and it's a good allrounder....but unless you can pick one up 2nd hand,it'll set you back about £300...but worth every penny(y)

I was hoping to try and photograph water drops and things inside dew drops, such as flowers. Its for my current uni project and im just experimenting. Figured I will need a macro in the future too so I wont be wasting my money if im unsuccessful with my ideas.(y)

Hi.

I've got a Canon 100mm macro, its fantastic, amazing quality. It is also a good portrait lens. Love it! Slightly over your budget but maybe worth saving up for or try to get second hand?

Anna

extension tubes might work for static objects

You could also consider the Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens and at £199 from Bristol cameras it is within your budget.

I've used the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 and the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 and would recommend either. You should be able to find them for around £200 on the 2nd hand market.

What other lenses do you have?

I have a Tamron 90mm and I use it mainly for insect photography and portraits. Some people think that around 150mm is better for insects, but I`m fine with 90mm, plus, camera shake is less of an issue at 90mm. Very sharp lens.

I have heard good things about the Tamron 90mm and they usually retail second hand under your budget. I want one! :D

I use the Sigma 50mm Macro, but the camera does need o be pretty close to the subject...

Back