Beginner Macro Photography Lens

Name
Jeanine
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I have recently been interested in food/insect photography but the lenses I have don't capture what I want.

Which is the best Macro lens for really close up/high definition pictures please? I have the Nikon D750.

Best is a variable term! For food, and relatively little money, a used Nikkor 55 mm Micro (f3.5 or 2.8 versions, AI or AIS) is very good value; although they're manual focus this is what many prefer for macro anyway. For insects, this focal length is a bit short as you have to get too close to them. Then 100 mm or longer is preferable. I guess others will recommend newer autofocus lenses.

If you want the best, the Nikon 200 f4 AF-D 'micro' at around £1000, second hand.

But have a look at the Raynox DCR150, or DCR-250. - They simply 'clip-on' to your exising lenses (up to 67mm filter size). - Inexpensive, and easy to use!

I use them with my 70-200 f4 and here's a couple of images:

DSC_3516_00009 (3) by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

DSC_7182 (2) by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

Lol, the patch tool in photoshop would have made short work of that little beastie :)

It's ironic, really. He wasn't really there... I was following something that used to be done by the 17c flemish artists. As a test of their painting skills, they'd paint Flies on the canvas in semi-prominent areas like that... Then, when the person who commissioned the painting came along, and tried to brush the fly away, they could point out how accurate a representation the picture was...

Hello

I have recently been interested in food/insect photography but the lenses I have don't capture what I want.

Which is the best Macro lens for really close up/high definition pictures please? I have the Nikon D750.

One thing to consider is the camera to subject distance. With insects some at least will tend to run or fly away if you get too close so I'd guess that a longer lens would be best as it'll allow you to take the shot from further away and thus have less chance of frightening the critter away. For food photography a longer lens could be a bit of a disadvantage as you may need to back off too much to get the food in the shot... assuming it's a good size and on a plate etc. Maybe a close focusing lens rather than a true macro would be just as good for food?

For example I used to love my Sigma 150mm f2.8 for flower and detail shots as it gave a good working distance and I liked the perspective but it would have been a PITA for food shots because of the focal length. I think I'd rather have a 50mm for that.

Another thing to possibly think about is the look of the final picture as the distance you shoot from with either a longer or a shorter focal length lens could alter the perspective. Maybe it'd be an idea to google the sort of picture you'd like to take and see if the equipment used is listed.

Last edited:
Note of caution with the Sigma EX lenses - I had the Sigma 180mm 3.5. Nikon updated the D810 firmware which made the lens inoperable. Once upon a time Sigma would update the lens as a courtesy but asked for ~£50 as they only do the service free for 'Global' lenses - A, C or S, not EX.

I know have the Nikkor 105mm and don't regret it.

With the D750, you can use the older screw-drive AF lenses, such as the 60, 105 and 200mm AF-D Micros. I have both the 60 and 105, and both are superb. The 105, I've used as a portrait lens, and it's fantastic. The newer AF-G 105 has VR, but I'm not sure how useful that is, as it's pointless on a tripod, and of limited effectiveness anyway, at close distances. The older version is a lot cheaper s/h.

The older AI/S manual focus versions only focus to 1:2, or half life size, afaik. The AF versions, to 1:1 full lifesize. So a 1cm long subject is 1cm long on the film/image sensor. To achieve this, on the older MF lenses, and higher magnification ratios on all, you'd need extension tubes and/or bellows units, that kind of thing. Fiddly.

Last edited:
Back