Macro Rail recommendations

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks, hope all is well.

I have the sigma 100mm DG DN art and the Laowa 100mm Macro lenses, either on the Lumix S5 or S1.

Looking for some macro rails that don't break the bank or are built like treacle.

I have an old Red snapper tripod and a punks Travis tripod, but tend to use the redsnapper one for my macro as it's built like a tank.

Red snapper do a rail https://redsnapperuk.com/product/macro-head/

Any other recommendations?

Last edited:
Don't have one, but been looking at getting one, they have a couple of versions

No specific recommendations, but I'd be tempted to look at a geared one if possible. I've got a basic Neewer one which is reasonably well built, but adjusting it by fine margins/with any sort of precision with the camera/lens in situ can be a real pain

Last edited:
I've got an M42 Pentax bellows, I must try it, I haven't used bellows for maybe 45 years

Last edited:
No need for a rail, just use Helicon Remote software, particularly if you are focus stacking.

Dave

No need for a rail, just use Helicon Remote software, particularly if you are focus stacking.

Dave
Does that work with a manual only lens which I think the Laowa 100mm is?
Plus if you are looking to shoot an object at your lenses maximum magnification a rail is the only way to go as using Helicon/ lens focus stacking you would start a stack at a lower magnification and work your way up to the maximum.

Dave
No use for me I'm shooting Lumix and their site says canon and Nikon (with a little Sony thrown in).

I'm looking at something for manual focus lenses 2.5-5x magnification really. I can do automatic focus bracketing and exposure bracketing in camera using my sigma lens, but if I buy the Laowa 25mm 2.5-5x manual lens those options won't work, it will need a rail.

Last edited:
No use for me I'm shooting Lumix and their site says canon and Nikon (with a little Sony thrown in).

I'm looking at something for manual focus lenses 2.5-5x magnification really. I can do automatic focus bracketing and exposure bracketing in camera using my sigma lens, but if I buy the Laowa 25mm 2.5-5x manual lens those options won't work, it will need a rail.
Sorry I was not aware you were using manual focus lenses. A few year ago when I was first investigating macro and focus stacking, I did consider a rail but discovered that it was definitely not for me. My Canon Camera and lenses are all compatible with Helicon remote which I run on my iPad. I typically used this for fungi and used Combine ZP for the stacking but have since found PS does the job better. Helicon do not support all cameras but seem flexible. I first used it from an Android tablet which I later replaced with an iPad. I contacted Helicon who assured me I should be OK and directed me to a part of their web site from which I was able to down load a new version which was compatible with my Canon 5D4 and iPad (no extra cost). I generally use a Sony now but not yet tested this combination; I have been distracted by other genres of photography. When you are finally sorted, do let us know how you get on, Good Luck.

Dave

Cheers @Dave Canon

Yes, I can do all the automated bracketing stuff in camera (like the ones you saw in my other thread) so the automated stuff is sorted, so long as I use an autofocus lens. It is for the manual lenses (although I haven't purchased the 25mm 2.5-5x macro yet) where I think it will be better for a rail to be used to help with stacking, especially at higher magnicifactions. Handheld at 2x can be testing at times, lord knows what 5 x will be like lol.

Appreciate the heads up anyway :)

I use the Manfrotto 454 'micro-positioning sliding plate', which works very well. Currently reduced to £119, but comes up quite frequently, used, for a lot less, on 'that' auction site. Not perfect, but not bad.

Last edited:
I use the Manfrotto 454 'micro-positioning sliding plate', which works very well. Currently reduced to £119, but comes up quite frequently, used, for a lot less, on 'that' auction site. Not perfect, but not bad.

I have one of those sitting unused, if it would be of interest I will put it in the for sale section, have a look on Google and see if it would do the job

Last edited:
Back