Macro Vanitas

Tori_T

Admin
Edit My Images
Yes
Inspired by TBY; He's done Vanitas, he's done Lego...
I just wondered if combining the two would work?

TP_IMG_6617 by Tori_T.UK, on Flickr

I'd prefer a little more DoF, but I'm at work ATM, so options are somewhat limited.
OK, I moved the tables around a bit, and tried again.

Last edited:
Well, purple silk was representative of great wealth and power, generally being something reserved for royalty.
I didn't have any royal purple silk, so I made do with lilac, and used it as both base and background for the shot.

I wanted to include a pipe and hourglass in the composition, but was outbid on the ones that were small enough...
Maybe next time.

Well - what can I say - I love it...

Yes - the background/base would have been nicer with something a bit more "regal purple" for example - or just a section of fine-grained polished wood for a "table", a hankie draped over half of it as a tablecloth, and a bit of teracotta tile as a back wall, but in a way it'd have just made it a "dolls house furniture" shot instead, and probably lost some of the humour. On that note, I love the fact that the raisin is larger than the lego mans skull!

As to Hourglasses - have a look on fleabay for charm bracelet trinkets perhaps ??

Incidentally - I have to say, I'm feeling awfully flattered here - I think that this is quite probably the first time in my live, that anything I've done has inspired anyone to do anything...

Yes - the background/base would have been nicer with something a bit more "regal purple" for example - or just a section of fine-grained polished wood for a "table", a hankie draped over half of it as a tablecloth, and a bit of teracotta tile as a back wall, but in a way it'd have just made it a "dolls house furniture" shot instead, and probably lost some of the humour. On that note, I love the fact that the raisin is larger than the lego mans skull!
Since I'd taken the bits with me to work, I only had the option of plastic coated chipboard tables, or powder coated steel computer desks. I did try laying things out with the silk flat, but the office in the background really ruined the scene. I only brought one raisin as the bag only contained large ones, and I didn't want to overpower the scene with them.
As to Hourglasses - have a look on fleabay for charm bracelet trinkets perhaps ??
I was after charms for both the hourglass and the pipe, but they're much more the vanitas objects than, say, Lego skeletons. ;)
Incidentally - I have to say, I'm feeling awfully flattered here - I think that this is quite probably the first time in my live, that anything I've done has inspired anyone to do anything...
"Announcing the opening of TheBigYin Revival School of Vanitas Still Life." (y)

Vicky, that is absolutely brilliant :love:

I loved your coffee cup stuff, but you've really outdone yourself with this. I hope this isn't the last that we see of them.

p.s. I have a bag full of little fabric scraps that I'll have a rummage around in if you intend to do more. I'm sure I can find something in a deep purple if it's any use to you.
I'll have a look over the Easter weekend and if I find anything that you might be able to use I'll drop you a PM - you'd be very welcome to have it.

That's very kind of you, thank you. :)

This one was mainly to see if the concept could work without just looking silly.
With a few more of the traditional symbols, and more careful consideration paid to the composition, it shouldn't be too hard to improve on this.

good decision - that was my 4th attempt - ended up using a scalpel to cut the spiral in the end, then carefully remove the peel by hand, and go back at it again with the scalpel to remove any risidual pith and lemon-skin. Previous 4 attempts ended up chopped and preserved in salt ready for next time I made a tagine ;) Can't abide wasting food - but with those edible props it was a close run thing - needed 'em to look a little "less than pristine" for the shot - but not so old that they were inedible. In the end I lost one of the pears - it turned into soup overnight in the fruitbowl :(

Back