Macro with flash..

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
Still playing around with my 580EX on my new Macro lens.

Comments please.. :)

watchframe.jpg

Good shot, although it looks like the second hand is moving backwards! Try using rear curtain flash!

Catdaddy said:
Good shot, although it looks like the second hand is moving backwards! Try using rear curtain flash!

Good point. Why has it done that... :confused-

Because your flash fired at the begining of the exposure and then during the remaining time your shutter was open (6 secs) it has still caught some movement of the second hand.

As Catdaddy has said use second curtain flash so that it fires at the end and gives the second hand a solid appearance in the last position, not the first.

It's fun all this flash photography isn't it?

Steve said:
Because your flash fired at the begining of the exposure and then during the remaining time your shutter was open (6 secs) it has still caught some movement of the second hand.

As Catdaddy has said use second curtain flash so that it fires at the end and gives the second hand a solid appearance in the last position, not the first.

Thanks for that Steve, Its quite nice learning this stuff indoors when the weather is crap.. :)

Steve said:
It's fun all this flash photography isn't it?

It sure is mate.. Lots to learn.. "hoping dod pops along soon".. :D

1 lesson learnt tonight guys. Thanks for the tip with the second curtain flash, I think I have cracked it.. :)

Second Curtain Flash. Much better IMO.. :thumb:

curtainflash.jpg

very clear shots, quite impressed with how clear it is, DoF is shallow enough to lose the background and the focus is smack on the middle, so the bezel is slightly soft, cool!

Second picture has some of the bezel OOF because you have a large aperture... but the background looks nicer :)

Didn't take 3 mins plus to type that reply I was distracted ...

I prefer the DOF and sharpness of the first shot but think that setup with second curtain flash would be a belter.

Just my 2p's worth :whistle2:

I agree I prefer the 1st but if the trail from the second hand which I like followed in a clockwise direction, using the 2nd curtain.

Think I agree with you Ken....would be nice to see the trail after the hand. Never-the-less cracking shot

regards

busterboy said:
"hoping dod pops along soon".. :D
pops along and is looking for tips :D really like that and agree with Steve that the DOF on the first one looks slightly better.

How did you do that and not get reflections? Bounced?

I thought macro required one of those flashes that fit around the lens ? (note I know nowt about flashes & macro ;) ) ....so fair play with normal flash !!!

DJW said:
I thought macro required one of those flashes that fit around the lens ? (note I know nowt about flashes & macro ;) ) ....so fair play with normal flash !!!

Nah, normal flash is fine but ring flash tends to provide a more even light. I'm guessing he's bounced it or maybe used a diffuser of some kind. Great lighting whatever it is :thumb:

dod said:
Nah, normal flash is fine but ring flash tends to provide a more even light. I'm guessing he's bounced it or maybe used a diffuser of some kind. Great lighting whatever it is :thumb:

Yes dod I tried several things with the flash but this shot was bounced from the ceiling.

This is all new to me and I cannot believe the difference the lighting makes from bouncing it from the ceiling to direct flash.. :shock:

Thanks for the input guys, A steep learning curve.. :)

busterboy said:
Yes dod I tried several things with the flash but this shot was bounced from the ceiling.

This is all new to me and I cannot believe the difference the lighting makes from bouncing it from the ceiling to direct flash.. :shock:

Thanks for the input guys, A steep learning curve.. :)

You can do something similar with insect shots. Take a bit of white card, tape it to the flash and bend it over a bit. Angle the flash upwards and you'll get a more even light on the subject. Same idea as you did but without the ceiling ;)

Needs a bit of trial and error to get the angles right but works pretty well :)

dod said:
You can do something similar with insect shots. Take a bit of white card, tape it to the flash and bend it over a bit. Angle the flash upwards and you'll get a more even light on the subject. Same idea as you did but without the ceiling ;)

Needs a bit of trial and error to get the angles right but works pretty well :)

How do you get the insect to stay still? :)

Nice work. :thumb: I was puzzling over the first shot and how the seconds hand was moving backwards! :ponders:

kamion said:
How do you get the insect to stay still? :)

You glue him to the leaf first

:getmecoat

The watch shots are great, :clap:

The first one is the best for me, I like the idea of time running backwards....maybe i'm getting old :doh: so a great mistake :smilenod:

Back