Macro

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
OK been playing around with some macro shots over the last couple of weeks. I don't have a true macro lens so I've been using my 70-200 with extension tubes to do the trick.

Interestingly I found out it's not as easy as it looks!!

But now I'm thinking of getting a proper macro lens to fit the 5D

OK now the question. I would love to opt for the Canon 180 macro but at nearly a grand I don't think I can justify it for the amount of work it will get.

So I'm looking at the Sigma 150 or the 180. Both seem to have good specs, and are about the same price £430-£480. The MTF of both lenses look good as well. Has anyone tried either of these. I've seen a review of the 180 and it came out well, but I can't find any creditable review of the 150.

Comments please :help:

John,

The MTF of all the top macro lenses will be comparable but that doesn't tell all the story. CA is almost non-exitent on the 180L but Sigma's 180 is pretty dire in this area so think carefully if this will be an issue with the subjects you're likely to shoot. The Sigma 150 is much closer to the 180L in most aspects and would be my preferred choice in your shoes....I have the 180L and don't have any regrets about spending the extra.

Bob

Bob

Thanks.. More food for thought, and probably a bit more saving I think. I've opted once before for a non Canon L lens. OK it was fine, but I was not happy with it. Bought the L equivalent and never looked back

Sound advice
Thanks

John

Sigma reviewed here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-150mm-f-2.8-EX-DG-HSM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

I used to own one, sold it simply because I was spending too much time playing with macro and not enough time working. Still miss it and have come close to buying it again several times, I really can't fault it.

EDIT to add: That review also shows charts so you can compare with the 180L, etc. and there's really not much in it. Another fond memory I have of the Sigma is using to shoot an album cover for a Bluegrass band :LOL:

pxl8
Excellent site. Thanks have bookmarked it

Back