Macro

Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi thank you for letting me join just seen angry photographer video on a macro rig setup when he said best to use a dx camera I've been taking my young grandson with me his been using d90 would it be better to let him use my d850 in dx mode or is the d90 the better camera for macro thanks the lens is a tamron 90mm macro

Hi and welcome to TP

I am not a Nikon user but it was my understanding the likes of the D90 are DX crop sensor models.....so again my perception is that by using your D850 in its DX crop mode does not give any obvious advantage over the D90 (unless the 850 sensor in DX mode has a higher megapixel count than the D90, though of course it is not all about megapixels....is it)

I am sure there will be some Nikon owners along soon to cover this far better than I and able to do so.

Technically the d850 would be better as the d90 is pretty old now And it has a much higher resolution sensor.
How you might find you’d be better off just cropping a d850 image rather than using the dx mode, assuming the lens is full frame compatible.

They only say dx is “better” as it gives a slightly closer equivalent field of view, but comparing an ancient dx with a modern full frame is like comparing a 1980s Sierra and a modern super car.

'just seen angry photographer video on a macro rig setup when he said best to use a dx camera'

The only thing that comes to mind is if photographing insects a crop body will allow you to be fractionally further away and hence maybe not disturb them.
However if taking macro shots of flowers I would tend to go for the higher resolution.

Back