Macs, icloud and selling or buying

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
[Censored] Fruitcake Bat
Edit My Images
No
I am looking for a replacement mac for a while and I have come across the fact iCloud can mess things up in a big way.
When selling my old device a few months ago, I thought I played by all the rules, signing out of 4 or 5 different things and reinstalling new OS. I note the mac is still listed in my system preferences, but oddly enough not on web based icloud page! Well that's just a cosmetic issue so far.

It seems you could end up with a brick quite easily when buying a device with active icloud. There will be boot password screen sooner or later and this will be end of the story without going to hardware hacking methods. This might mean device was sold stolen, or maybe the person was just careless and made a mistake not removing their account. Both sadly just as plausible.

So my paranoia meter is at 110% now. What, if any, way is 100% safe to buy a working, clean and safe mac, ipad or iphone? New is of course one option, setting me back a minimum of £2400 or more as everything cheaper is pure outdated crap that I'm not willing to pay over £1000 for. Problem is let's say its not the best time to do that right now personally.

I presume it must be 1st genuine owner, and collection in person, and still many checks that need to be done before parting with money or even a visit to apple store? This starts looking like mission impossible.

Back