Magpies

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it me or are we over run with magpies? I was out today at a nice little spot had put some nuts out for the squirrels immediately had 4 magpies chomping on them.

When a squirrel finally came out he was mobbed by 6 magpies :shake:

I gave up in the end and went back to work :crying:

There are certainly more magpies around here than 10 -15 years ago. They are possibly the brightest of birds and great opportunists and have adapted to exploiting increasing amounts of easily available food.

Dave

Nice catch Les, shows the magpies colours well. they really are quite attractive birds

One of the best shots I've seen on the forum was a magpie "flaring" for landing. Caught the iridescence of its plumage beautifully! Don't particularly like the birds' habits though, despite their beauty.

According to the rspb the numbers of magpies have been fairly stable since the early 90s. But some people hate them as evidenced by the idiots who put up a cash bounty for a magpie cull.

Time of year as well as they are in family parties, thats a belter Les.

You are right, they are everywhere. Even this chap can do very little to reduce their numbers.

I took this last week whilst on holiday. The Fox was fast asleep on the shed roof until the bird decided to peck him every few minutes.

The image is not the best, it was taken through double glazing, but it made me smile.

IMG_2421 by killwilly, on Flickr

It may not be technically the best, Alan, but it is still a great shot - excellent record of behaviour.

Dave

Somewhere, I've got a shot of a magpie standing on a lamb's head, shouting at a fox. it was great fun watching the scene - it went on for a few minutes until the lamb stamped at the fox which bolted, scaring the magpie off!

Magpies are good looking highly intelligent creatures but like Nod said they've unpleasant habits and they're a bird I don't like to see too many of, particularly round lambing time as they have a penchant for pecking the eyes, tongues and arses out of new born lambs.
I like your shots of them Les, they're usually a bit too quick for me!

Last edited:
Thanks, Dave. I agree it's a crap photo, but it did make me and my wife smile and we watched him for quite a while. Eventually, he decided to go, as can be seen below.

IMG_2431 by killwilly, on Flickr

A good one there - very well captured.

Dave

Magpies are good looking highly intelligent creatures but like Nod said they've unpleasant habits and they're a bird I don't like to see too many of, particularly round lambing time as they have a penchant for pecking the eyes, tongues and arses out of new born lambs.
I like your shots of them Les, they're usually a bit too quick for me!

Thank you & I also hate Magpies ( Being a Game Keeper) I usually shoot them - not using a camera :eek:

Les (y)

Back