Malcolm Wilson Pt2 First Attempt

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry 2 post some more of these rally pics as you are probably fed up with them but being as it is my first time at motorsport i would like to know if i am getting it right and if not what can i do better so comments are very welcome:clap:

MW87.jpg

MW84.jpg

MW71.jpg

MW72.jpg

MW78.jpg

MW57.jpg

MW59.jpg

If i am getting it somewhere near i will not put as many on Thanks for looking and please comment thanks:)

Motorsport isn't really my thing so I can't speak from experience about the "poses".
I'm not seeing the cars as a feature in these shots, they seem to blend in with everything else and the detail (usually seen) is missing. I susect you may be better off if you use centre weighted metering.....concentrates the exposure more on the subject and prevents the background having too much effect.

Just a thought....

Bob

Thanks for the comment Bob. i did use centre weighted metering as i was advised to use.you say some detail (usually seen) is missing can you give me some more comment on that please. do u think cropping the pics would be better? as i have not made any adjustments to the pics at all. all suggestions are gratefull as this motorsport infact any sport is new to me.

Good clear shots but the problem is that they look very static. Would look better if the cars were in sharp focus but the background blurred to give the impression of action! Not 100% sure on the best way to achieve this and I'm new to photography but I'm sure someone can help.

Perhaps using a wider aperture or being further out and zooming in closer?

Good clear shots but the problem is that they look very static. Would look better if the cars were in sharp focus but the background blurred to give the impression of action! Not 100% sure on the best way to achieve this and I'm new to photography but I'm sure someone can help.

Perhaps using a wider aperture or being further out and zooming in closer?

If you want the background blurry to give a sence of speed you would be better panning when taking the shot. It takes a lot of practice but you get good results when you get it right

Thanks for the comment Bob. i did use centre weighted metering as i was advised to use.....
Maybe the 400D reports it differently to what I expect but the EXIF data shows "Average Metering" :shrug:

Bob

If you want the background blurry to give a sence of speed you would be better panning when taking the shot. It takes a lot of practice but you get good results when you get it right

Thanks for the comments. I have been told about panning but with the cars coming towards me how could i achieve that? i take it that it can be done i know it can be done side on if you get my meaning:bonk:

There is a FANTASTIC guide to panning on this site, somewhere. It helped me soo much. It's true about the panning to get a sense of speed. Now I just need to learn how to use my gear. As for the shots, take the last one... The bit of tree to the left ruins what would have been a fairly nice picture. Looking what your actually taking a picture of helps, thats something I learnt last week. Hope I helped.

Bob on the 400D is centre weighted average metering also Partial metering and Evaluative metering i am not sure what other Canons read so if thats any help to you Bob :)

I have only snapped a rally once, made a total hash of it but it was in Grizedale and I walked and walked and walked to get an unclutered background, just trees and snow but thats me, I hate clutter :)

Pocket tree saw now there`s an idea :bonk: would save me standing in the line of fire :LOL: must agree the trees were a bit of a pain :(

Maybe take a pocket tree saw next time? Haha

Beat me to it, but I just used to bend the branches back, less damage that way. Also I would have had a go a treading down the grass that is in the way of the rear wheek in number 6 etc

TC

Thanks for all the comments so the main thing is 2 get rid of the trees and grass(y) i will certainly do that next time and thanks again for the feedback:)

Would a pol filter stop the windscreen glare and allow a view of the driver/navman?

I don't know.

Hope you dont mind
IMO you need to crop tighter, either get closer or bigger lens (zoom in)

MW871.jpg

Watch you dof to get rid of clutter behind the car so your focus is on the car. Slightly slower shutter to show motion and watch the backgrounds.

1-3-5-6 would have worked with a tighter crop then watch for trees etc as you shoot
Try working from the ground lower than the road, move about, try panning & mix your shots.

no i do not mind thats why i have posted them untouched so u can play with them:LOL: i know what you mean about the tighter crop appreciate the comments i will know for next time(y)

Back