Manfrotto 190 or 055: which practical difference the 30 cm would make?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I decided to buy the 488rc2, but I can't choose between the 190xprob and 055xprob.
I would like to go for the 190 as it is 700g lighter, but the 055 is 30 cm taller (178cm versus 146):which practical difference (during taking photos) the 30 cm would make with the 055?

178 (plus head and camera) is more than my height (I'm 175 cm - 5.78 feet). Does putting the camera at eyes level help a lot practically?

In the many posts I read, I noted that quite a few preferred the 055 because it is heavier and so stabler.

thanks

The 055 is more stable, but the extra weight makes it a bit of a pest to carry about, which is why I ended up buying a 190 and leaving the 055 at home...

Your experience is very interesting...that is my main concern. It is already 2,2 kg!

Can you renounce to the extra 30 cm?

Thanks

The extra 30cm is useful, but the extra weight cancelled that out for me, however if you're not going to be hillwalking or carrying it any great distance then the 055 is the better choice.

If you want a really stable tripod, then the 055 is better. Bigger, stronger, heavier. I would say the extra height is vital as you can only get that with the 190 by fully extending the centre column, in which case you might as well balance the camera on your nose for all the stability you will get.

Centre columns are wonderfully convenient, but they really do not help with holding your camera steady. Yes, I use one, but only if I have to and only on the very smallest extension to get the position I need, but it's lazyness really.

If you think about the total weight including the head, the 055 is proportionally not so bad, and when you add the camera and lens, well, there's no noticeable difference. I know what you mean though, in which case I think the best option would be to swallow hard and get the carbon version 055.

I have never even seen a Redsnapper, but they come highly regarded and the price of the carbon version is good. Benro are also very good indeed - Chinese copy of Gitzo. Vast range, high quality, good prices.

But are all tripods and head interchangeable?
I mean, can I use the 488rc2 (that is good for landscapes) with a redsnapper tripod for example?

yes most tripods are interchangable... you just might need to buy the thread adapter to upsize or downsize... but basically there are two sizes... im sure they are 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch... and nearly all interchange...

At the mo I have a silk head on a velbon tripod and a manfrotto head on a silk set of legs.

This is an interesting post as I am thinking of the same two tripods two... Im going for total stability though... I have two tripods already and the silk is perfect for travel and lightweight needs... I want a really heavy stable one for landscape as will never be carrying it that far from the car... couple of miles max... so looks like the 055 it will be

I have never come across a tripod that doesn't use a 3/8 inch thread for the head, and 1/4 inch for the camera, so you can simply screw any head on to any tripod.

The threads are actually Whitworth, dating back decades pre-metric. But everyone still uses it.

depends how tall you are and how much bending you want to do.

at 6' 1'' the 190 was to small and very flimsy compared to the 055 xprob, the weight has never proved an issue for me and i do fell walkng and fell top shoots at stupid o clock 3.30 this morning.

i had a 190 and didnt like it not enough stability when doing 1 minute shots so the weight and the height no problem for the 055 but it depends on the frame and abilities of your self.
055 gets a massive thumbs up from me.

I have never come across a tripod that doesn't use a 3/8 inch thread for the head, and 1/4 inch for the camera, so you can simply screw any head on to any tripod.

The threads are actually Whitworth, dating back decades pre-metric. But everyone still uses it.

There are a few... prob more the lighter weight ones that use the smaller thread... but like I said you get a wee adapter if needs be... so its fine!

Mark

There are a few... prob more the lighter weight ones that use the smaller thread... but like I said you get a wee adapter if needs be... so its fine!

Mark

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, maybe some smaller pods are 1/4in for the head. I thought you maybe meant a 5mm metric thread or something ;) Those little adapters sort it, I got a couple from Jessops.

055 gets the thumbs up from me
the weight wont be noticed when you have glass and body to lug too
the reason most of us pay good money for tripods is the stability

I use both an original silver 190 and an 055P, both with the 488RC2 ball head. Both have their uses. If I was just choosing one it would be the 055P, due to its extra height and rigidity. I only bought the 190 as a smaller and lighter travel tripod to carry all day around a city, and as its easier to fit into checked luggage when flying abroad. It's surprisingly rigid in an urban environment where you are sheltered from wind, but no where as effective as the 055P when on a breezy coast. As well as supporting my digi camera, with an 029 head the 055P is perfect for my Toyo 45A 4x5 and MF Mamiya C220.

I was all set to get an 055 until I felt the weight of the thing. It weighs a ton! And when I tried it with a backpack in store it really upset the weight distribution pulling me over backwards - and I ain't no lightweight fairy at 6' 1" and quite a few stone!

I now use a lightweight CF model and have had no problems with stability. I tend to use it quite low anyways though, and will weight it down on the legs or bury in the sand if necessary.

I have a 055ProB, and find that with the legs extended it is the perfect height for me (being 5' 7'') and very stable.

However, when travelling abroad I use my friends 190ProB as it fits inside my case. It is not as comfortable to use without extending the centre column, which reduces stability, but is OK to use the centre column raised on non windy days.

Because of the way the legs can be spread out wider on Manfrotto tripods at least, you can place the legs wider for more stability, with an obvious reduction in height. Space allowing of course. ;)

Hi guys thanks for you're opinion!
It is very difficoult to choose!
Do you carry your tripod in a travel abroad?
190 pro: lightweight, portability,also during flights
055pro: stability

I was thinking that for landscapes the minor height doesn't matter as the subject is far, it should be more important when the subject is closer.
I don't mind mind to bend to take a picture!
on the other side landscapes are usually in open spaces where more stability would be requested. I don't think I 'll go more than 10 sec.
Some one was talking about one minute exposure. Is is used so often?
I'll buy ND grad filters

Back