Manfrotto 234 monopod tilt head - smoother tilt?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
This head either locks tight or flops about with no tension.

Trying to adjust it to something in between seems impossible, partially slackening it off doesn't help with the smoothness much (if at all) but it does introduce an annoying rocking action.

The locking knob seems to tighten onto a large silicon? washer inset into the head. I wondered if adding a little bit of silicone grease (I have some that came with my Gitzo tripods) between the washer and where it sits against the head, might just introduce enough slip to make this work better.

I know I could just try and then rub the grease off if it didn't work, but does anyone have any better suggestions.

Thanks.

That head appears to work solely on the friction of the washer and the clamp.

How heavy is your camera / lens combo? The only issue of adding grease to that assembly is that if you have a particularly large load, you may end up on the scenario of not being able to lock the head out completely. Adding grease will make the motion of the head smoother when tension is released.

That head appears to work solely on the friction of the washer and the clamp.

How heavy is your camera / lens combo? The only issue of adding grease to that assembly is that if you have a particularly large load, you may end up on the scenario of not being able to lock the head out completely. Adding grease will make the motion of the head smoother when tension is released.

Thanks, and yes it's just a simple clamping action, and although I could live without needing to fully lock it down, I would still want to be able to lock it well enough down to prevent it falling down with force.

I never found a way to control tension with one. I changed it for a Custom Bracket head with separate tension and lock controls.

Thanks, what did you do to try to make it work, and what "custom bracket head" did you get?

Mine adjusts nicely with no grease and when set up, doesn't droop under load but can be moved with a little extra pressure. Being bored, I've just stripped it back to component parts and reading from adjuster wing-nut, it goes "wing-nut", plain steel washer, top plate, "bit that screws onto monopod", fibrous washer, top plate (looks a bit like brake/clutch friction material but probably isn't), bolt.

Personally, I'd avoid using any sort of grease - it usually just ends up attracting and holding crud which can make things worse. I would probably try a very gentle rub down of the fibre washer, using a piece of fine abrasive paper on a dead flat surface, just a few strokes to flatten the surface should do, on both sides. a good clean of all the mating surfaces and careful reassembly. Mine is a good fit between the top plate over the rest of it - takes a tiny bit of pressure to get it over the shoulder (so to speak).

Edited to correct my carpy tryping!

Last edited:
fibrous washer, top plate (looks a bit like brake/clutch friction material but probably isn't), bolt.

You are right, it is a fibrous washer, not silicon as I thought. I will do as you suggest, and smooth the surfaces a bit with some fine abrasive paper.

Thanks.

Thanks, what did you do to try to make it work, and what "custom bracket head" did you get?

I tried stripping the head cleaning all the washers and packing all back with a really heavy silicon vacuum grease, this added a little friction control but not much. I got a Custom Bracket Tilt Head AS (https://www.custombrackets.com/collections/monopod-tripod-supports/products/tilt-head-as), 10 years ago there was not much choice for monopod heads with Barca plates. Its OK, but big, heavy and overly expensive - I suspect there are better options.

I tried stripping the head cleaning all the washers and packing all back with a really heavy silicon vacuum grease, this added a little friction control but not much.

Thanks, I've not heard of custom brackets before, but I think the good quality tilt heads for monopods are about this price, if not more https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/mh-01. and https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/mh-02

I may well still give it a try to improve the head I've got and then rethink what head I might need to get.

Back