Manfrotto ball head advice req

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought a 055 and must say I'm very pleased with the build quality. It's packaged with a 804RC2 and I think I might sell this and get a ball head.
My question is what one?
The most it's likely to support would be a 40D+70-200 2.8IS and a 2x extender.

Exactly the one I used on this tripod and I used it with the Canon 30D and Canon 100-400 IS with no problems at all.

I would recommend it for the combo you mention, however if you plan to go heavier in the future lens wise then it might be an idea to have a look at the Redsnapper one recommended on here by CT, it was the TB-32A ( not shown on site ), that he bought and uses it with a 40D and 500 F4 IS lens. I think it's about £99 but will save you money in the long run if this is the planned route with your lenses as a used 488RC2 will only fetch about £40 ( I know, I sold mine recently ). If buying again I would go for the strongest one I could afford and not have to replace later at extra cost. if that's too big then the TB-12 was recommended by Venomator HERE as an alternative.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

I have the 488RC2 on a tripod and the 484RC2 on a monopod. Use it with 40D, grip, 100-300f4 & 1.4TC without problems.

Having two RC2 means I can keep a release plate on the camera at all times and keep the other on my Sigma lens tripod ring.

Exactly the one I used on this tripod and I used it with the Canon 30D and Canon 100-400 IS with no problems at all.

I would recommend it for the combo you mention, however if you plan to go heavier in the future lens wise then it might be an idea to have a look at the Redsnapper one recommended on here by CT, it was the TB-32A ( not shown on site ), that he bought and uses it with a 40D and 500 F4 IS lens. I think it's about £99 but will save you money in the long run if this is the planned route with your lenses as a used 488RC2 will only fetch about £40 ( I know, I sold mine recently ). If buying again I would go for the strongest one I could afford and not have to replace later at extra cost. if that's too big then the TB-12 was recommended by Venomator HERE as an alternative.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

I have to agree with Mike's comments here, I'd recommend a ball head which conforms to the universal Arca Swiss standard. You don't know where your photography will lead you eventually, and what lenses you'll end up buying. Investing in the Arca system early on will save you swapping and changing different style plates from one camera/lens to another, (which is an absolute pain, especially when you haven't got that 2p piece or Allen key in the field) or changing over your system entirely which can work out expensive.

I have an Arca plate permanently attached to each of my lenses, so it's a simple matter to swap any lens at any time from the ball head to either of the gimbal heads, which are both Arca type mounts.

Im using the 055PROB and the 488RC2. love it. it held my D50, with two batteries, and the Bigma on it with no issues what so ever. would easily take more weight than that combo. Highly recommended.

I have an Arca plate permanently attached to each of my lenses, so it's a simple matter to swap any lens at any time from the ball head to either of the gimbal heads, which are both Arca type mounts.

Sorry - that's not quite right - the Manfrotto gimbal head has it's own peculiar sized Arca plate for some reason known only to Manfrotto, but any other gimbal on the market, and there several, are all the universal Arca type mount.

Hi,

Thanks CT, having used mine with the 30D and Sigma 500mm F4.5 at 3kg on its own I know that the O55 and 488RC2 combo just didn't work for my setup, even with Mirror Lock-up AND wireless remote you could see the lens tremble, it will be fine for the OP's set-up just now for sure, just don't say I didn't warn you if you hanker after a 500mm Canon or similar, and let's face it if you are shooting wildlife or anything at a good distance then length is king.

If I was filling the frame with the subject with the above combo then it was fine, but once you were trying to shoot at a distance and were needing to crop then the shake really showed up.

Buy right buy once as the old cliche goes.

Mike.

Just to add my pennyworth, might not be what you want but I have the 322RC2 Ball head which has the Trigger type handle. I use it with a D80 (not as heavy as yours) and used it with a large 300m heavy old Vivitar manual lens and it was excellent, can take a bit of getting used too though but once you master it its good. Used it for some macro work and no blurring. Has a removable plate that is easy to use. (No coins required).

I have the 322RC2 and love it!!!!
because of the Trigger handle, it makes very easy to use it.......

Hi,

I forgot to mention the 10% discount that Redsnapper gives Talkphotography members :clap:

Read HERE

Mike.

Back