Manfrotto BeFree Advanced Carbon - GT or Normal? Anything other tripods to consider?

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Looking to replace my tripod in the next couple of months. Tripod wise I've only owned 2. A Manfrotto 190 something which I owned for many many many years and was bomb proof the whole time, I sold it to go travelling. Currently, I have a Velbon UT-43D II

My main bugbear with the Velbon, as nice as it is, its a compact travel tripod, which has the compromise of not being the sturdiest. A strong gust could knock it over. I don't use particularly heavy camera gear to weigh it down either. So I am willing to get something that isn't quite as compact, but sturdier. That is the aim here.

Also, I want something future proof, as I'll likely be getting a Sony A7R3 + 70-200 f/4.0 next year (which will be the heaviest thing it holds) - so something with a decent payload to handle anything thrown at it for the foreseeable future is the other aim.

I went to the Manfrotto website for a browse, and have seen the BeFree Advanced Carbon range. They offer both this and the GT model. In terms of size they're both excellent (41cm vs 43cm folded down) and weight wise its 300 grams between them. 1.2kg vs 1.5kg. The GT is the bigger & more robust version with a heavier payload of 10kg vs 8kg (both are overkill for me anyway)

The non-GT seems to tick all the boxes, it's also a few quid cheaper. I am just worried about facing some of the same problem/annoyances I have now and hate buying things twice. Does anyone have any experiences with either or both of these? - I can't help but think that a physically heavier tripod will be better at being more set in its footing? I am confident that neither of these tripods will have the flex issues that my current one has. But yeah, in the wind? will the lighter one have the downfall of being well...light? I plan on visiting Patagonia next year where its known for crazy weather conditions at times with strong winds.

On the flip side of the coin, can anyone recommend any other alternatives to the above which have similar/same specs?

Thanks in advance!

I thought the manfrottos were on the heavy side. Take a look a sirui

Back