Manfrotto MODO 785B Tripod

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi chaps, I'm just starting off in photography and have read a lot of good things about the above tripod, so I went ahead and bought one.

The problem is, as I am using it with a D40X and Nikkor 18-200 lens the handgrip clamp seems to be slipping especially when I turn the camera 90° to take a vertical portrait shot.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if I can adjust the strength of the clamp more so it doesn't slip?

Thanks! ;)

I have the same Tripod and the same issue... I think i was mis-sold mine (high stret retailer recommended it) as i was told it was fine with SLR's... but the mechanism to lock the head in place is just not strong enough.

The website below does state its a "compact camera + Video" tripod in which case it does a very good job at what its designed for.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Tripods/Manfrotto/Manfrotto-785B-MODO-Maxi-Tripod

Cheers
Euge

I use one as a holiday tripod, it`ll hold short lenses ok ( D70 with 17-55 or 10-20 for example) but struggles with longer heavy stuff.

I personally think the tripod is a good design. The only drawbacks I can see are:

1. Low clamp strength
2. Sturdiness when heavily loaded
3. Lack of horizontal panning facility

Other than that I think its a very good "no-nonsense" tripod.

I'd like to know whether someone has come up with a solution for the low clamp strength. I can see some bolts on the side perhaps I can take it apart and modify it? :thinking:

Just managed to figure out a way to make it a tad better.

Basically if you open it up, theres a brass plate which needs to be thickened to give you a bit more leverage.... makes a slight difference but I think I need to increase the friction between the ball and socket grip to get more strength from it.

Anyway hope it helps!

I also have this tripod and can use it with my 350D and the Canon 70-300 IS fully extended. Yes, you do have to use a little "muscle" on the head lock, but it can be done.

I folds up so small and is so light it's great to strap onto the kit bag and carry around for the day, even better to strap to the bike as well. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a hook on the bottom to attach my bag to add stability when in use.

Steve

I also have one of these tripods. It's a little wobbly when fully extended as the thin section at the bottom of the legs feel very loose?!

Mine has held my 70-200mm F4 lens and 400D without a tripod collar fine. You just need to squeeze the head lock in a little more.

Other than that it's great for walks where you don't want to have to carry bigger heavier tripods about.

It's a great tripod, but lets face it - not designed for SLR's, especcially with a big lens attached. I use mines to balance the thought of walking 3 miles with the biggy versus having to give it a little extra support. It does the job fine if you don't mind hekping it out a little :)

^^^
Just read what I posted and its probably closer to chinese than it is to english, you will hopefully be able to find my point in there somewhere though. :D

G.

Back