Manual lens to use on EF mount

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, managed to pick this lens up for £5 at a car boot sale and just happened to have an EF adapter with it (bonus!). Has anybody got any experience with this lens at all? Looking forward to having some decent weather for a change so I can take it out and try a few shots with it on my 650D

.IMG20231114120331.jpgIMG20231114120302.jpg

Not personal experience of this but if that is the 135mm f2.8 you got a bargain.......based on clean looking examples for sale online.

Though it's apparent condition looks dire with that ding/dent on the front end.

Two thoughts occur to me:-
Is it free of fungus.....if not I would never use such a lens.
The damage suggests a significant drop onto a hard surface, so does the focus ring turn smoothly and does the aperture ring turn & does the lens 'stopdown' i.e. can you see the diaphragm 'follow the ring settings'???

Last edited:
Not personal experience of this but if that is the 135mm f2.8 you got a bargain.......based on clean looking examples for sale online.

Though it's apparent condition looks dire with that ding/dent on the front end.

Two thoughts occur to me:-
Is it free of fungus.....if not I would never use such a lens.
The damage suggests a significant drop onto a hard surface, so does the focus ring turn smoothly and does the aperture ring turn & does the lens 'stopdown' i.e. can you see the diaphragm 'follow the ring settings'???
No fungus as far as I can see, and both focus and aperture rings are smooth with the diaphragm opening and closing

I've used and sold one of these. Only sold it because I had to thin the herd but it worked just fine and gave nice, sharp images.

Dings on the end are so common but if everything turns just fine it's probably okay.

£5 is a bargain if it all works.

When I had a Canon 5D I used an Olympus Zuiko 135mm on it and it gave nice results.

Focusing with a lens like this on a DSLR to the point that it'll stand up to pixel peeping could be an issue but if you don't expect razor sharp focus or excellence across the frame I'd expect it to be a nice lens to use.

Good luck with your new kit :D and don't forget to post your thoughts and some results.

I occasionally use a Minolta Rokkor 135mm f2.8 on my Sony A7 where the manual focus aids help.

Back