Map Butterfly

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
When we arrived in France 5 years ago I saw and got a poor photo of a very tatty 2nd brood Map butterfly, Araschnia levana, the first I had ever seen, I have been looking for a fresh one ever since, finally today 14/April/2024 Ariege S. France on Garlic mustard, Alliaria petiolata, by the river along the voir verte towards Lavelanet a 1st Brood Map. it is an unusual butterfly in that the wing pattern is very different from the 1st emerge brood and the 2nd emerge brood. You would normally think they were totally different butterflies

map-butterfly-sml.jpg

Well worth the wait, well done;)

Beautiful butterfly, Mark. Could do with a bit more depth of field to bring the head and antennae into focus (never easy, especially when they're active). Would love to see one.

Beautiful butterfly, Mark. Could do with a bit more depth of field to bring the head and antennae into focus (never easy, especially when they're active). Would love to see one.
Cheers Des, yeah would have loved more light and greater DoF but it was not going to happen, that was F11 1/320sec at iso 400 - its a 150mm macro lens - they don't hang about :)

Back