Critique Marbled white

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Heres a shot from Wednesdays walkabout, There was lots of different butterflies about.
I`m happy with this one and as its the 1st white that I have got a worthwhile photo of.
A better view on my Flickr if you wish and also the exif.
Looking forward to tomorrow afternoon and Sunday morning as i`ll be having another walkabout although it is getting hot here but I guess that will help with the butterflies.
View attachment 38842

Thanks for looking and any C&C is welcome.

Looks fine to me. Not sure if there's too much dead space at the top, can't make up my mind. If that was change it'd take away from the square format tho.

I'd do a wee bit of dodge on the body just to brighten it up a tad, not too much mind.

Looks fine to me. Not sure if there's too much dead space at the top, can't make up my mind. If that was change it'd take away from the square format tho.

I'd do a wee bit of dodge on the body just to brighten it up a tad, not too much mind.
Cheers Brash, I purposely left more space up top as I felt it looked ok like that.
I didnt think about the body being a little dark,
Dodge done, better?

View attachment 38848

Last edited:
Great shot. I'd try and darken the background slightly, especially that bright s shaped piece bottom left as it does draw the eye away a wee bit.

Great shot. I'd try and darken the background slightly, especially that bright s shaped piece bottom left as it does draw the eye away a wee bit.
Thanks Tracey, I have toned down the edited version, theres always something that gets missed.
I have left the BG as I kinda like it that way but thanks for your input.

Cracking shot of the Butterfly. I quite like the BG. It compliments the subject nicely for me :)

Cracking shot of the Butterfly. I quite like the BG. It compliments the subject nicely for me :)
Lovely butterfly Graham - great profile.

Paul.
Thank you guys, much appreciated, I also think the BG is pastely in colour, it works well.
I had to clone out a wire fence in the top of the shot, with my pp skills I think I done a good job.

Cheers Brash, I purposely left more space up top as I felt it looked ok like that.
I didnt think about the body being a little dark,
Dodge done, better?

View attachment 38848

Looks like you lightened the whole picture not just the body.

Lovely colours. Good (for my taste) having pretty much the whole subject in focus. I too think the background complements the subject nicely.

I tried a crop along the top edge, but it took away the pinkish round shapes along the top and that rather spoilt the background for me.

I tried some other things. If it's of any interest I'll describe what I did. Purely personal taste of course.

NOT MY IMAGE - Graham - Marbledwhite LR
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Back