Mark's picture a week 39 and link to my review of Lee RF-75 filters

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
This shot was taken in Cornwall at a little place called Port Quin.

Leica M8 15mm CV lens, Lee RF75 ND.6 filter.

2008-week39-1.jpg

The only processing done to this shot was a bit of highlight recovery, followed by a curve adjustment then a spot of sharpening in Lightroom.

If anyone's interested, there is a review of the Lee Filters RF-75 filter kit on my website.
The URL is http://www.monomagic.co.uk/equipment.php
Just click on the 'Lee Filters RF-75 Filter kit link on the left.

C&C welcome.

All the best,

Mark

Lovely image. I do like the way the hills come down to the sea at different distances from the camera. A very interesting foreground too. You are allowed 800 pixels on the longer side. Any chance of a resize and repost, please? The image deserves to be as big at the board allows.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment on the pic. It looks great to me. :clap:

But that camera... being a bit of a photographic-virgin and very new to all this, I googled it. £3k! Holy banana! What's that all about? I am guessing it's something quite special?

Thanks.

Why do you feel you're not qualified to comment?

Yes, the M8 is, in my opinion, rather special. I love Leica cameras and lenses and the M8 is probably my "desert island" camera. They are expensive, but boy they are built to last! I have and still occasionally use a Leica M2 that was made in 1959.

Just occasionally, it's nice to produce the odd picture that does it and the lenses justice. All I need now is a working printer (cue picture of man with face like he's chewing a wasp or several wasps).

Why do you feel you're not qualified to comment?

Honestly?

I have one of the cheapest DSLRs and have been taking pics 6 months. I can tell you whether I like your pics, but other than that, I don't really feel I have either the knowledge or experience. I rightly or wrongly assume that someone with a £3k camera and years more experience is going to know far more than me and produce a far better picture.

I certainly wouldn't know what sort of picture would do the camera or lens justice.

But I hope to learn, so that one day I may appreciate the camera as much as you obviously do.

Honestly?

I have one of the cheapest DSLRs and have been taking pics 6 months. I can tell you whether I like your pics, but other than that, I don't really feel I have either the knowledge or experience. I rightly or wrongly assume that someone with a £3k camera and years more experience is going to know far more than me and produce a far better picture.

I certainly wouldn't know what sort of picture would do the camera or lens justice.

But I hope to learn, so that one day I may appreciate the camera as much as you obviously do.

Please don't think that *anyone* who has a more expensive outfit than you is either better than you or knows more about photography.
I have seen some truly awful work taken with high-end cameras and lenses. It's easy for people to justify whether a picture is 'good' or 'bad' based on what it was taken with, when in fact it is to a large extent, irrelevant IMHO. FWIW, I did hesitate before putting the camera details on. I'm not embarrassed by what I use, but sadly, it can often elicit this sort of response. But as this is a photography forum, what it was taken with is of interest to the people on the board.

If someone likes a picture, it's lovely to get nice comments. It's equally important to give and receive honest feedback in order to help each other grow creatively.

I've had a look at a couple of your pics and I think you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Thanks again for saying you liked the picture. When I saw your seascapes, I thought 'I wish I had taken that!'

Cheers

Mark

Back