Martin Evening or Scott Kelby?

Name
Matt Wright
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok Guys i am buying CS4 and LR2 and i have seen you lot mention these two as authors of great books to help compliment how to learn both the programs!
SO my question is which books to buy,
Evening or Kelby?

Matt

I've got both and Kelby by a country mile.

It's a fab reference book and I'll usually pick it up first if I need to look anything up.

But that's just me.

I'd suggest popping into somewhere that stocks them both (Waterstones?) and have a look for yourself.

I think it would be very difficult to recommend one over the other as it's quite a subjective thing. I much prefer the style of Mr Evening, but that's not to say you would.

Ali's spot-on with the suggesting you have a quick mooch round your local book emporium and see what you make of them. But grab a coffee while you're there as they're both quite hefty tomes!

Scotts style is different to Martins, I find scott more lighthearted, while martins is more serious, both a good writers though. As somebody already said have a little read of both in the bookshop as see which style you prefer. Or buy both. Wayne

I have Martin Evenings Photoshop 6 for Photographers and found it an excellent book. When I upgraded to CS I got Scots book, Great several things I didn't know. Then when I went to CS3 got Scots book again. Unfortunately it seems to have been written for someone who had no knowledge of Photoshop. Not really, for an experienced(?) user.

It really depends on you level of knowledge. They both have there own styles and it's down to your own preferences. Personaly I'd look at Martins, but if they have them both in Waterstones check them out. Also you may get a "look inside" on the Amazon site

I got on really well with the Martin Evening Lightroom books, I can't comment on Photoshop books as don't have Photoshop.

Have a read of the books in the shop - or your local library to get the idea of their styles.

Martin Evening for me. I find he gives you the whys and the wherefores, not just the how-tos.

I've got both and Kelby by a country mile.

It's a fab reference book and I'll usually pick it up first if I need to look anything up.

But that's just me.

I'd suggest popping into somewhere that stocks them both (Waterstones?) and have a look for yourself.

I am not near a bookshop.
Can someone confirm that Evening and Kelby cover RAW processing.

Been suckered twice buying on the Web.
Bought Easy Photoshop Elements 7 by Kate Binder, then bought Teach yourself PE7 by Mike and Linda Wooldridge.
Neither of these books mention RAW at all.

Can someone confirm that Evening and Kelby cover RAW processing.
I can confirm that the Evening books cover RAW processing and I'd imagine Kelby's would be as thorough, but having not read them cover-to-cover I'll refrain from sticking my neck out.

I can confirm that the Evening books cover RAW processing and I'd imagine Kelby's would be as thorough, but having not read them cover-to-cover I'll refrain from sticking my neck out.

Cheers, that'll do me.

When it came to CS3 books I would say Kelby was my favourite. Martin Evening's just seemed too all over the place, and I found it tricky to find 'that bit I read earlier'. I know it's a reference manual, and not a novel, but it just didn't flow as well as Scott Kelby's.

However Martin Evening's CS4 book is now my favourite as it seems to have undergone a massive overall. I can confirm he goes into a fair amount of detail on RAW processing.

Scott Kelby all the time. He's focussed and to the point as also in his online training and unlike his appearance on the blogs where he tends to get distracted.

Practical points clearly explained.

Cheers

Back