Master of photography that is on tv

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Wow you have to be thick skinned as the judges bluntly tear into the contestant's shots. I got thick skinned about 40 years ago in a club competition on a theme and the judge said about my print (can't remember exact words but something like this):- "This isn't the quality or subject choice I would expect for this competion" o_O :eek:...I spent ages shooting and choosing my shot entry and getting the darkroom print as best as I could.:(

Last edited:
Wow you have to be thick skinned as the judges bluntly tear into the contestant's shots. I got thick skinned about 40 years ago in a club competition on a theme and the judge said about my print (can't remember exact words but something like this):- "This isn't the quality or subject choice I would expect for this competion" o_O :eek:...I spent ages shooting and choosing my shot entry and getting the darkroom print as best as I could.:(
So THAT'S why you don't use Polaroid film any more. [emoji6]

yes but was the photo sharp?

:) :) In the old days of B\W for small club comps, sharpness and quality must have had some influence on the judge as if my 10X12 35mm print (on a board) was next a MF 10X12 it's :rolleyes:.
Judges today for digi comps can concentrate on the subject matter as every entry would probably be sharp and squeeky clean.

Wow "master of photography" @ 2:30 today all the contestants got a roasting and some more than others, .but just as an ordinary amateur I could spot IMO one excellent shot and wasn't impressed by many of the others..... from experienced photographers.
Digi guys have it easy as they can M\C gun compared to a guy over 100 years ago as to photograph a cast dancing was impossible if doing long exposures, so what the guy did was:- photograph each dancer separately then stuck each dancer(I assume a cutout) on a shot of a stage and then re-photographed it all o_O (y)

Last edited:
Wow "master of photography" @ 2:30 today all the contestants got a roasting and some more than others, .but just as an ordinary amateur I could spot IMO one excellent shot and wasn't impressed by many of the others..... from experienced photographers.
Digi guys have it easy as they can M\C gun compared to a guy over 100 years ago as to photograph a cast dancing was impossible if doing long exposures, so what the guy did was:- photograph each dancer separately then stuck each dancer(I assume a cutout) on a shot of a stage and then re-photographed it all o_O (y)
I saw it the other night and the judges were certainly brutal in their assessments of the backstage shots. I guess they have to be when the photographers have been chosen from thousands(?) of entrants, and they say it's the biggest prize in a photography comp. I think they're doing landscapes or seascapes in Ireland next week, so that'll be a bit more like my type of photography! (y)

It's all subjective, isn't it? Wasn't overly impressed with this week's photos (so I agree with the judges on that) but I did look up some of the judges' work. Hmmm.... Can't say I was impressed. But then, I guess that means I know nothing about what makes a good photo.

I take it that these are repeats? I was looking out for the new series but I suspect Covid-19 has put the dampners on it this year. I think Irish seascapes was back in series 1 if I'm not mistaken.
They are indeed repeats Nige, although I only saw a couple of them before so don't go telling us who wins! :muted: :muted:

They are indeed repeats Nige, although I only saw a couple of them before so don't go telling us who wins! :muted: :muted:

.....the first was 2016 o_O well if it wasn't on freeview I wouldn't have seen any previous episodes.

Well today fell asleep and only saw the very last bit and can't seem to see it on youtube. Have I got this right that one photographer's view of lovely county Kerry was a fallen tree :eek: :rolleyes:erm I don't think the Irish tourist board would use that shot.
I've got one for a view of England :D:-

DdvNNqm.jpg

I’ve just finished series 1 and I’m a bit lost for words.

Just settling down to season 2 and I notice that 2 of the judges have been replaced.

Still not sure how I feel about it, the judges certainly don’t hold back, the old boy on the end is savage.

Colours on my TV are always dodgy - but it seems to vary with whatever series I'm watching. Saw one show recently where all the men had purple lips, although weirdly the women and children were fine, so maybe it was deliberate? I think it might have been The Reckoning, but can't recall for sure. But not noticed anything dodgy about the colours on Masters of Photography.

I agree that the landscapes, for the most parts, weren't great "landscapes" but then the judges had told the contestants to put something of themselves into the shots, although I'm not sure they meant it quite as literally as the girls took it.

There were some fleeting glimpses of some lovely shots that the various photographers didn't choose.

A long time ago when I was active in the club scene I learned to largely ignore judges who presided over competitions. It is only their opinion and most have no formal training but can talk the talk!

I used to live in West Sussex and was a member of a quite prestigious club for about 18 years until I moved back up north. Two or three of us used to 'bait' the judge with titles on the print which were in completely unpronounceable Welsh or Gaelic names. Oh what fun!

A few years ago after I moved back up north I joined another club and by now digital was the mainstream, but there were a couple or perhaps 3 of us still used the darkroom. When one of our prints came up and if it wasn't recognised for what it was by giving advice on how to use photoshop to do this that or another to it, one of our group used to talk quite casually to the judge and bring up the subject of so and so's picture. Then let it be known that it hadn't been within a mile of a computer. Sometimes there was an air of embarrassment but if they came back they were always more careful what they said.

Last edited by a moderator:
H'mm you can watch for free (on freeview) but if you missed one and want to catch up you have to pay :rolleyes:

I've watched all the series, I find it quite interesting:

- Thinking about how I'd approach the assignment
- seeing how the photographers approach it
- seeing what the guest 'tog says (quite hit and miss)
- seeing how they manipulate the photos and come up with an 'entry'
- wondering what exactly the judges are going to say! This is the most difficult bit, especially Mr Benetton.

Well I realise the photographers can't be "Jack of all trades" and have a time limit.....but to me many of the shots are disappointing.

I'd agree and say that there are rarely more than two photographers that do a good portfolio in the assignments. But that's what makes it interesting...

Well I’m going to continue series 2 tonight! Episode 3 I think. Just had Rush hour in Hamburg.

Well you are ahead of the UK as we are on series 1...as I missed series 1 episode 6 (fell asleep) and tried looking on French and Italian tv to see if they are showing the series, but in search it wasn't very helpful :( anyway without subtitles I'd probably fall asleep again :rolleyes:

Well you are ahead of the UK as we are on series 1...as I missed series 1 episode 6 (fell asleep) and tried looking on French and Italian tv to see if they are showing the series, but in search it wasn't very helpful :( anyway without subtitles I'd probably fall asleep again :rolleyes:
I'm in the UK. I have it on Sky. Apparently I can watch all 4 series. Not so sure I can endure all 4 series though.

Fast Forward is very useful...

Well last night I just didn't understand one woman's entry with a shot of herself in the nude o_O well ok it could be that she is ardent naturist but her portfolio didn't impress the judges and she got the boot from the competition.
So what cameras are hidden in the boxes that they will have to use for the next episode..I'd like to see their faces if it was 35mm film Kodak Brownies...but easy peasy for filmies here.

Last edited:
Well last night I just didn't understand one woman's entry with a shot of herself in the nude o_O well ok it could be that she is ardent naturist but her portfolio didn't impress the judges and she got the boot from the competition.
So what cameras are hidden in the boxes that they will have to use for the next episode..I'd like to see their faces if it was 35mm film Kodak Brownies...but easy peasy for filmies here.
I know what's in the box. i won't spoil it though :)

So in the final, the four left had to use film cameras :D..it's easy being an armchair critic but thought quite a few shots seemed to be exposed incorrectly (spoilt using digi) and thought it was a bit unfair in that two got sunny Greece and Romania and the other two got Paris and Stockholm for street shooting. The British guy should have forgetten he was a soldier as I thought his shot of a soldier was was not about people and Europe as every country in the world has soldiers with similar problems with terrorists or whatever.
Also why embarrass one competitor with rejection and leaving three to stand in a line to await the judges decision...when four could have done the same :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I missed the first series and only recently caught up with it having already watched the others. I am so glad they ditched the presenter although I am unconvinced that the two new judges are any better than the first two. The girl that went off in the first week of series 1 is the wife of one of the first people that really got me into photography, bias aside I didn't think she deserved to go that week even though her image was one of the weaker ones. I must admit most weeks when they roll out the world famous photographer I do find myself thinking "who???", must just be my own ignorance though I would guess. I quite enjoyed the episode with Michael Madsen though, love him as an actor and had no clue that he also writes poetry.

I have watched all 4 series now, and I am still a little underwhelmed. The trouble is, its the only program I have seen which is based on photography. It made a nice change from watching Youtube all the time.

Having watched it all back to back, it was interesting to note that the prize fund shrunk by a third, the promoted gear moved from Leica to Canon, and they relocated the set. I have to admit I was pleased when they moved studios as the panning shot with the crane head going through the shot between every scene was getting a little tiresome.

I'm not prepared to be financially raped by Murdoch so it was handy to see Sky Arts is now free on Freesat.
I remember the conversations in here some years back when Sky first broadcast Masters of Photography.
I've not been over impressed so far, The British guy who won the landscape episode, I quite liked the photo.
If I remember correctly, he was also the one who took thee photo from behind the nuns and there was an advert on a wall on the left for bras, again I quite liked that as well.
The photo of the fallen tree left me thinking that the photographer didn't have a clue, I can't remember if he was a pro or an amatuer but either way, it was a poor effort
Generally, I've seen far better photos on here over the years than I have with the so called Pros on the show.
If they decide to repeat the other seasons I might give it a second chance but I doubt I will watch it all.

I'm not prepared to be financially raped by Murdoch so it was handy to see Sky Arts is now free on Freesat.
I remember the conversations in here some years back when Sky first broadcast Masters of Photography.
I've not been over impressed so far, The British guy who won the landscape episode, I quite liked the photo.
If I remember correctly, he was also the one who took thee photo from behind the nuns and there was an advert on a wall on the left for bras, again I quite liked that as well.
The photo of the fallen tree left me thinking that the photographer didn't have a clue, I can't remember if he was a pro or an amatuer but either way, it was a poor effort
Generally, I've seen far better photos on here over the years than I have with the so called Pros on the show.
If they decide to repeat the other seasons I might give it a second chance but I doubt I will watch it all.

Murdoch no longer owns Sky, so you're safe on that count. You can now pay Comcast instead if you want a subscription. :)

While I agree that there are generally many better images to be found than the ones made by the contestants, it's also worth considering that they are constrained by time, subject, and whatever conditions they are under (including a film crew following them everywhere along with the need to explain what they're doing and why). It's a pressured environment that might not be the most condusive to the best results. That said, it's the name of the game and they know what they're letting themselves in for too.

Murdoch no longer owns Sky, so you're safe on that count. You can now pay Comcast instead if you want a subscription. :)

While I agree that there are generally many better images to be found than the ones made by the contestants, it's also worth considering that they are constrained by time, subject, and whatever conditions they are under (including a film crew following them everywhere along with the need to explain what they're doing and why). It's a pressured environment that might not be the most condusive to the best results. That said, it's the name of the game and they know what they're letting themselves in for too.
I think you've pretty much nailed it with the time element Nige, since who knows how any of us would succeed in such an environment? I have enough trouble with some of the FPOTY themes when we've got up to 13 months for them. o_O

I actually enjoyed it overall, and looked forwards to it. Thought the contestants throughout did very well 80% of the time. Less impressed with the judges and the occasional guest - albeit in latter episodes those guests were a lot more interesting / generous / informative.

I take it that these are repeats? I was looking out for the new series but I suspect Covid-19 has put the dampners on it this year. I think Irish seascapes was back in series 1 if I'm not mistaken.

Actually Nige you started a thread for Master of photography in 2016 and just found out...but being paupers here on F&C couldn't afford sky (only joking folks erm well I've never had sky).

Back