Match Strike

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
Yes
Had been meaning to try this for quite a while, maybe a bit of a cliché, but new to me. This was also my 365 shot for today. :)

4026988076_5ba255e508_o.jpg

And a setup shot.
DSC_0019.jpg

Like it alot. I hope no one walked throuh the door!! :eek:

Barney

Excellent! ... Really like it (y) But playing with matches is bad ... :)

Thanks Barney, everyone was warned not to come into the "Man Cave" ;)

LMAO, from this point forward my office at home has been renamed! I might even get a plaque made!

Barney

I love the shot - Of you don't mind me asking (so I can try :) ) how did you do it?

Excellent! ... Really like it (y) But playing with matches is bad ... :)

I love Fire Me!! :D

Fantastic, haven't seen many shots like this so I'm impressed (y)

Thanks mate. :)

Got to try this myself(y)

It's easier than you think. (y)

LMAO, from this point forward my office at home has been renamed! I might even get a plaque made!

Barney

I have a special sign made up.
IMG_0180.jpg

I love the shot - Of you don't mind me asking (so I can try :) ) how did you do it?

I don't mind, it's just timing really. :D I used the camera and flash on full manual. I set the camera to my highest synch speed 1/200 in this case.

Placed a match as shown in the holder, (match box lid) And manually focussed on the tip, fired off a few test frames to establish aperture and flash power, f/18 and 1/16 respectively.

I was using CLS to trigger the flash on the door handle, and I set the onboard trigger flash to give a -3ev comp, I really wanted a slight bit of fill onto the side of the match. I found with the first few attempts, that me pressing the shutter, was causing movement. So I used a remote. I also found that a homemade snoot was required to avoid spill onto the background etc.

I was lighting the match with a lighter, holding it as close to the tip as possible and then removing my hand as quickly as I could manage while pressing the remote. f/18 was used to get the DOF I wanted, and 1/16 was used to get a faster recycling time, meaning I could machine gun the camera and hope for the best. :D

Back