Mavic 2 Pro, purchase now?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Is it a decent enough time to buy one?

I have a couple of clients who would probably pay for some aerial photos, and I can put is down as capital allowance.

So I'm seriously tempted

Get your hand in your pocket, I have a Mavic air and love it.

Only one problem is that using it for commercial use requires a license which is pants and no fly zones sometimes get in the way.

Get your hand in your pocket, I have a Mavic air and love it.

Only one problem is that using it for commercial use requires a license which is pants and no fly zones sometimes get in the way.

Holy crap, I need to spend over £1000 to get a license before I can use it for work... i'm not feeling that flush.

I'd be interested in who's policing this drone licensing system.

Apparently if you're out and about and take a drone picture which was not commissioned you are free to sell the image.

Bag of spanners if you ask me.

Reactions: 4wd
yes, technically you need a PFCO to do any commercial work, if your intention is just a hobby flight and then the images are purchased down the line, no PFCO required, the grey area is, “why would you be doing a hobby flight in such an area or way”

Chances of getting caught are almost zero but it’s the age old thing of taking work from professional drone pilots that make a living and have done all the required authorisation, planning, logging of flight with CAA (if needed) got permission from ATC and such.

Oh an an extra I believe quite a few companies are doing them for around 5/600 nowadays.

Going to try out a Mavic today, I'm erring back to the side of purchase - and I'll be able to recoup some of the money so it won't be all bad.

https://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/ -- is all this law?

I had a go with a friend's drone today, and I was really hyped up purchasing one until I realised everything I did was illegal..

-- 50 metre rule is a bubble, so not so bad as I thought, confused it with the 150m rule for built up areas which is measured point-to-point along the ground.

Other than the photos of my friend's house that I won't post, I took these two photos - which the drone was out visible sight at the time which happens very quickly.. as I was just using the GPS and camera feed as the drone was at 50 metres.

So I don't think I could enjoy ownership not being able to fly the drone beyond VLOS, and it would limit commercial application to keep 50m away from people/buildings.

54525780_10161842671345227_846785143510138880_n.jpg

54525278_10161842671270227_1049043172182720512_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Mavic Pro and now a Mavic 2 Pro which I wanted for the big improvement in the sensor.

I don't find flying within VLOS that restrictive although it seems to be a rule most people ignore, it's possible to see the Mavic at a reasonable range and it's so small if I want to film further away I just pack it up and move on. It also means if I have any issues with the drone I can easily recover it as I see a lot of Mavic crashes where people are flying it well out of VLOS, encounter problems and then no idea what happened because the controller disconnected.

yes, technically you need a PFCO to do any commercial work, if your intention is just a hobby flight and then the images are purchased down the line, no PFCO required, the grey area is, “why would you be doing a hobby flight in such an area or way”

Chances of getting caught are almost zero but it’s the age old thing of taking work from professional drone pilots that make a living and have done all the required authorisation, planning, logging of flight with CAA (if needed) got permission from ATC and such.

Thing is that IF I was to get one, the only use for commercial work (family photoshoots) would be at a local woodland I use, where you will often never see anyone, and its large field, nearest house is over 500m away. No-one would actually know, unless the customer was clued up on this and wanted to see proof of PFCO.

Thing is that IF I was to get one, the only use for commercial work (family photoshoots) would be at a local woodland I use, where you will often never see anyone, and its large field, nearest house is over 500m away. No-one would actually know, unless the customer was clued up on this and wanted to see proof of PFCO.
Hey mate, I’m not being the drone police and your money, so your decision,
I was just basically telling the rules, personally, I feel you/we pay our money we choose how and what to do with it, I don’t need a licence to photograph commercially, or make a video with my dslr, so why should we for the drone, but I also understand that flying commercially allows us to be in more dangerous areas, and a PFCO means you have the knowledge to deal with problems like loss of gps ect.

Watch how the photography youtubers use them, it's not all about flying two miles away at 400 feet.
Commercial use is not easily defined, if you are being paid to do a job like photographs for an estate agent sure that's commercial, a few shots you took anyway then later uploaded to shutterstock or blackbox aren't going to get you pulled up.

Back