Maximum sensitivity with Flash on the D750

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Having moved from the D500, one feature I can't seem to find on the D750 is the Maximum Sensitivity with Flash setting under Auto ISO. I prefer shooting in Manual with Auto ISO switched on when not using the flash (for outdoors), and when I go inside, I like to switch on the flash and use a Maximum ISO setting. However with D750, the only way I seem to be able to do it, is by going in and switching the Auto ISO on and off, which is annoying. Also there is a risk of forgetting to make the switch. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Hopefully somebody can help :)

Why do you want to use maximum ISO setting with flash ?

Having moved from the D500, one feature I can't seem to find on the D750 is the Maximum Sensitivity with Flash setting under Auto ISO. I prefer shooting in Manual with Auto ISO switched on when not using the flash (for outdoors), and when I go inside, I like to switch on the flash and use a Maximum ISO setting. However with D750, the only way I seem to be able to do it, is by going in and switching the Auto ISO on and off, which is annoying. Also there is a risk of forgetting to make the switch. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Hopefully somebody can help :)

There is no option for that on the D750. Using flash is about controlling light. Working the way you have been you might as well just stick the camera in auto.

There is no option for that on the D750. Using flash is about controlling light. Working the way you have been you might as well just stick the camera in auto.
Using matrix metering I find it easier working with the shutter speed and aperture and using Auto ISO when I'm not using flash. That way I don't need to worry so much about exposing my image so long as the ISO stays above 100. I can use exposure compensation should I need to.

With flash I prefer to be in control of the ISO and keeping it under 1000 with the flash in TTL mode. With Auto ISO switched on the ISO trends to go above 1000. With the D500, photos using flash above ISO were pretty grainy.

Last edited:
With flash I prefer to be in control of the ISO and keeping it under 1000 with the flash in TTL mode. With Auto ISO switched on the ISO trends to go above 1000. With the D500, photos using flash above ISO were pretty grainy.

Which is exactly why you shouldn’t use auto ISO with flash. The camera will absolutely make the wrong decision every time!

Which is exactly why you shouldn’t use auto ISO with flash. The camera will absolutely make the wrong decision every time!

With the D500 it was possible to switch on the flash and keep auto ISO switched on - and cap the ISO used using 'Maximum Sensitivity with Flash' setting under the same menu. It would make the transition from using flash to not using flash and back to using flash much easier and without the need to turn Auto ISO off and on and off respectively. This feature is missing on the D750

Incidentally I have found a quicker way to switch Auto ISO on and off using the ISO button and the front dial simultaneously. It just means more operations to switch from no flash to with flash settings which on the D500 was as simple as just turning the flash on and off without the need to change anything else. Perhaps this 'Maximum Sensitivity with Flash' setting is only available on the newer models

With the D500 it was possible to switch on the flash and keep auto ISO switched on - and cap the ISO used using 'Maximum Sensitivity with Flash' setting under the same menu. It would make the transition from using flash to not using flash and back to using flash much easier and without the need to turn Auto ISO off and on and off respectively. This feature is missing on the D750

Incidentally I have found a quicker way to switch Auto ISO on and off using the ISO button and the front dial simultaneously. It just means more operations to switch from no flash to with flash settings which on the D500 was as simple as just turning the flash on and off without the need to change anything else. Perhaps this 'Maximum Sensitivity with Flash' setting is only available on the newer models
Is there a C1 setting on the dial? Mine's set for quick and dirty flash use, M 800ISO, 1/125, f5.6, my general shooting mode is AV with auto ISO.

Back