Me.....again.lol

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
With all these self portraits going on, figured I may as well join in,lmao :LOL:

Tried to do another high key self portrait but once again failed miserably. I really love the high key look and for those that remember I tried this last year but it looked just as hideous as this one,lol Apparently I haven't gotten any better at this,lol It's one area I can't seem to grasp. Anyway, I thought I would post it so anyone who wants to give it a go can edit the image for me.

Me7.jpg

Thanks,

Jewel

was that faded out in PS?

to get a true high key shot, you'll need to get some lights and really blast out the back ground while keeping the subject exposed.

looks a nice pose, what happens if you reduce the fade back?

Thats waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too white, I can barely see it :(

was that faded out in PS?

to get a true high key shot, you'll need to get some lights and really blast out the back ground while keeping the subject exposed.

looks a nice pose, what happens if you reduce the fade back?

I was playing in curves to get this look,lol It's a shotty pic I know, Im' thinking of getting some lights lights so I can do some proper high key images. I just love the look and cant' achieve it in photoshop at all. No way around it I guess.

Thanks,

Jewel

well you did say have a go ;)

Pretty awful so let me know if you want it removed!

jewel.jpg

There is a lovely shot in there somewhere Jewel, but think it is hidden by your processing, any chance you could post the pre-edited version for comparison.

Just had a flash of inspitation Jewel. You can still do a high key effect without using expensive studio lights. You do need a window and some semi transparent material. hang the material at the window and sit yourself in front of it. If you expose using the spot meter on your camera for your skin tones then the background is overexposed and will be blown out. That way you can get your background to look like it would in the classic high key effect.

In photoshop use levels to increase the brightness and contrast until you get the right result.

Hope that helps.

Hi Jewel
I tried one for you. Hope you don't mind. :)

P.S.
I am sorry I changed the face in the photo (I know you are much prettier and thinner). I did that just because I wanted to change the lighting. Sorry! :(

jewel.jpg

Last edited:
woooooooo i like what nobody has done to the photograph....well done it looks loads better....very natural shot as well.....i hate my photograph being taken..:-O
Thank you for viewing my photo (sorry, her photo)!

I hope Jewel will like it. I still don't know her taste yet.
I tried 3 more different effects, hope Jewel and you guys like them.

C & C are welcome! :D

1n.jpg

2n.jpg

4n.jpg

Last edited:
It's No3 that does it for me, I like the way you've toned it. Nice job, nobody. Now come on, jewel, let's see you better it!! ;)

Regards - Paul

It's No3 that does it for me, I like the way you've toned it. Nice job, nobody. Now come on, jewel, let's see you better it!! ;)

Regards - Paul
Paul, thank you for looking them. I am glad that you like #3.

I hope jewel would like also. :)

Hi Jewel
I tried one for you. Hope you don't mind. :)

P.S.
I am sorry I changed the face in the photo (I know you are much prettier and thinner). I did that just because I wanted to change the lighting. Sorry! :(

jewel.jpg

Wow!! Thanks for doing three different edits Nobody, they all look great but this is the one that really stands out to me. The way you made my eyes pop like that is amazing. It looks fantastic.

Could you share exactly what you did in photoshop to achieve this look? I use CS2 myself and would love to know how you did this. Thanks :)

You changed my face in the photo??erm how so?lol :LOL:

Thanks to everyone else who gave it a go, appreciated. :)

Jewel

Last edited:
Wow!! Thanks for doing three different edits Nobody, they all look great but this is the one that really stands out to me. The way you made my eyes pop like that is amazing. It looks fantastic.

Could you share exactly what you did in photoshop to achieve this look? I use CS2 myself and would love to know how you did this. Thanks :)

You changed my face in the photo??erm how so?lol :LOL:

Thanks to everyone else who gave it a go, appreciated. :)

Jewel
I'm glad that you like it. :)

I use PhotoShop CS1 because my iMac is an old model, 5 years old.

There is no secret in this work, just retouched detailed and slowly, and compared with each previous versions every time. My wife asked me yesterday, "you know her?" :D

Firstly, I smoothed the skin mainly with Rubber Stamp tool. Sometimes I used Dodge tool to brighten some shadow areas like areas around eyes (sorry, I don't know the term). However, after smoothing the skin, the expression was changed and the face becomes fatter because you are smiling in the photo and I removed the gap between the 2 muscles. That's why I said I have changed the face because it should be thinner if you aren't smiling.

Then I added shadows on the side of the cheek with Burn tool because I hope I can make the face as slim as your real person. I also added shadows below the hairline on the forehead because the face became flat and bigger in B/W after smoothing the skin (because of losing shades). I diminished the highlights along the edge of the face and the nose with Burn tool. I also used Burn and Dodge tool to smooth the lighting on the chin.

In order to change the lighting, I partially lightened the left face and partially dimmed the right face with layers and layer masks. I also changed the contrast partially with different layer masks.

Finally, I lightened the eyes, darkened the eyebrows and lips with Burn and Dodge tools. Then I combed your hair a bit and removed the hair in front of your eye with Stamp tool. :D

Sorry, my English is very bad and hope you can understand. :(

Btw, please tell me which term I used very wrongly if you don't mind.:)

Last edited:
Wow, that sounds like alot of work,lol Thanks for sharing the steps you took to get this look. Now I have to try and attemt it myself,lol :D

As for the cheeks looking fat, no worries,lol I always have chubby cheeks anyways,lol I'm cursed with those damn Native Indian high cheek bones, meaning chubby cheeks,lol I couldn't even tell the difference, so don't worry about that,lol I think you did an amazing job!!

Again, thank you very much for all of your help, I'm so pleased with the results. :D

Jewel

Excellent job there Nobody (y)

Re. the poor English.......don't worry about it, it looks like you have a better grasp of it than some of the people born here. :)

jewel, you're welcome! :D

digitalfailure, thank you for everything! :D

DiddyDave, your color version is really good! :eek:
It's better than mine because your jewel is still smiling. :D
It seems that you have shrinked (do I use the right word?) her face a bit slimmer, excellent! (why I didn't think about this?) :)

It seems that you have shrinked (do I use the right word?) her face a bit slimmer, excellent! (why I didn't think about this?) :)

If English isn't your 1st language, then I wouldn't worry too much at all, as DF says there are plenty of native born English-persons who'd do worse!

But no, 'shrinked' isn't the right form of the past tense of 'shrink', it would be 'shrunk'

That said, it's not quite the right word here either as shrunk means the whole image would be made smaller, while you're meaning the face in the image is thinner/slimmer

Your English is more than acceptable though, so well done, and glad you like my edit too

DD

If English isn't your 1st language, then I wouldn't worry too much at all, as DF says there are plenty of native born English-persons who'd do worse!

But no, 'shrinked' isn't the right form of the past tense of 'shrink', it would be 'shrunk'

That said, it's not quite the right word here either as shrunk means the whole image would be made smaller, while you're meaning the face in the image is thinner/slimmer

Your English is more than acceptable though, so well done, and glad you like my edit too

DD
DiddyDave,

Thank you very much for teaching me with patience. And yes, my first language is Chinese/Cantonese. I'm sorry for asking English in a photography forum.

I do like your retouched photos. You are a wise retoucher. (y)

nobody

Some great conversions guys, well done (y)

Hi Jewel

I love to play with beautiful ladies too - :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Hope you don't mind this attempt

I cropped it heavily to focus closely on your face and superb eyes

:)

DD

[happy to remove if you don't like]

Jewel_DD1.jpg

OMG, you guys are all too awesome. These are both great edits DD and I like the crop, works well I think. The colour version seems to be my fave between the two. What did you do to me, I look 10 yrs younger,lol That's absolutely wonderful,lol :LOL: :D
My only nit is, I look like I have a few potatoe chips stashed in my right cheek in the colour version?,lol Other than that my goodness you guys are unbelievable in photoshop!! Well done to all of you and thank you very, very much!!!! :)

Jewel

Back