Medhufushi Island, Maldives

Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I would share this picture with you taken a few years ago at dawn just in front of our villa. We only had a compact camera at the time but I was pretty happy with the result. Any comments welcome as I'd love to go back to try and improve the shot!:)

This was taken 3 weeks before the tsunami struck which practically demolished everything on the island.

Medhufushi_Sunrise_2004.jpg

Wow...that sun has me reaching for my shades! It's just too bright. I'd crop it out, right at the left edge of the brightest bit, so that there is the feel of the sun being there, without the dazzel.

The rest is good....lovely tones in the sky and sea and the person is almost walking on water. Nice!

I'd crop, but from the right, I can live with the bright sun, but the figure is too central for my eyes, so a crop from the right and bottom would be my preference.

Saying that. I do like the 'mood' of the image.

I kind of like the presence of the sun there, even though it's burning my eyes as well.
It does make the photo look more contrasty, though and it works well as a second focus point too. What bugs me more is that it's a bit too close to the left edge of the photo.
I still quite like it.

Kind of a real life Gormley statues shot - I like this allot. The crop is fine, but I love the sureal nature of the shot. The crop on the right would remove the reflection in the water, but you have managed to ensure already that the horizon does not chop through the head ! So keep it going!I rather like it.

Thanks for the comments peeps. For me, I too can live with the sun in the image, I feel it makes the shot more complete, it's gonna be blown after all it is the sun. I agree the subject needs to be less central, rule of thirds and all that, but I also like the dark clouds on the right. The horizon missing the head I feel was more chance than photographer's skill! There was a bit of ugly foreshore seaweed in the bottom left which I edited out ... I dunno how obvoius my lack of photoshop skills are!

I really like it. The calmness of the sea makes it look as though you could just walk out over it. Yep the sun is bright and overblown but as you say, it is the sun. I also like the clouds to the right.

Chris :)

I really like it. The calmness of the sea makes it look as though you could just walk out over it.

You practically could. Right on the horizon is the edge of the reef - you might be able to spot a faint black line which is the waves breaking. From the edge to the shore the water was no deeper than knee depth and most of it only ankle depth.

Back