Meet Maria ....And Her Two catchlights!

InaGlo

TPer Emerita
Name
Glo
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my new model Maria, her first time in front of the camera ... my first time setting up my lights.
I think the overall look is a bit flat and I was worried when I zoomed in on the image,how clearly you could see the umbrella & softbox in her eyes ... does this detract or distract.?

Bare in mind the pic was for a nails thing Im doing so had to keep the hands in focus too but, we are going to get together again and do some more stuff thats just about her and I think Ill find that a bit easier when I can just concentrate on her face.
Any pointers or advice (especially on lighting) most welcome.
Ta!

MariaTPF.jpg

I thought you were doing a Scottish Widows ad for a moment there Glo. ;)

j/k. It's a nice shot, I reckon you're doing good Danno. I've desturated a bit to get a more subtle look and better skin tones - you could always saturate the nails separately as I guess they're really the focal point of the shot. Desaturating the rest in comparison will make the nails stand out.

MariaTPF_2_.jpg

It's dead easy to remove one of the catchlights as I have here with the clone tool. I personally don't mind the two but prefer just the one, and would avoid just leaving the one at the centre which tends to give a beady look to the eyes.

It's a shame you can't see tbe top of her head which I think is contributing to her looking a bit squashed into the frame - I think she needs a bit more space. It looks a tad soft perhaps? That apart I reckon youve done well, you've avoided any hard shadows, including the dreaded nose shadow, so you have a shot you should be able to edit to pretty well how you want it.

She's pretty damned fit! :naughty:

I actually prefer the colour in the first but I think CT is right about it being a shame that you can't see the top of her head, and making her look a little squashed. Still a good shot though. :thumb:

Ahh poor girl, how's she gona do the washing-up with all those chains on her nails :nuts:

Really nice shot, prefer it with only one catchlight, the eyes look more natural, less busy. As Petemc has said, the edit looks just a bit flat.

I prefer the original colour-balance over CTs in this instance - works better on my monitor.

I do think the double- catchlights are a little distracting though...

I guess CT's edit is a quick one as it looks kinda flat now.

It was quick - but fair comment. I brightened this version a tad Glo, and saturated the nails a bit. They're just ideas for you.

MariaTPF_3_.jpg

Nice shot Glo, good to see you're getting to grips with the lighting, the first thing that struck me was the background, I find it a bit distracting and it intrudes into the picture too much.

Nice shot Glo, good to see you're getting to grips with the lighting, the first thing that struck me was the background, I find it a bit distracting and it intrudes into the picture too much.
Awww! Hacker dont say that :crying:
You have no idea how long it tok me to draw those stupid Heiroglif ... Hirogliph ... ancient Egyptian writing, rofl!

I dont like it either actually,and the pattern is not on the original image, the original background is just plain gold. (you do mean the Heirogliphics dont you & not the colour?)

Will sort the original file out later and repost .... minus one catchlight I think! ;)

I've had a quick play now. I decided to crop some of the arm out as I also found that a tad distracting, particularly where the band is digging into the flesh.

Looking at what I believe is the effect you are trying to achieve I thought I'd give her a more sultry or exotic look so I applied the Midnight Sepia action and then did a bit of dodging and burning. I also took the eyes from the original image and put them in this one. I know it's not perfect but it was just a quick edit to give you an idea of what I meant.

MariaTPF-copy.jpg

I like what you have done to the shot Hacker, but as Inaglo, is trying to draw attention to they nails I guess this wont work for her needs.

I wonder what a lens baby effect focused on the hand would do for this shot :thinking: . may have a play after work if thats ok and post if anygood.

This is my new model Maria, her first time in front of the camera ... my first time setting up my lights.
I think the overall look is a bit flat and I was worried when I zoomed in on the image,how clearly you could see the umbrella & softbox in her eyes ... does this detract or distract.?

To reduce the double catchlight when using two lights, try raising one of the lights to negate the reflection in the models eye.
Or use one light with a softbox and a reflector to bounce back the light to the other side of the models face.
This will give you a single catchlight from the flash, while the reflector helps give a more flattering finish.
To help reduce the flatness light the background from behind the model, this will help lift her giving an almost 3D effect.

Bare in mind the pic was for a nails thing Im doing so had to keep the hands in focus too but, we are going to get together again and do some more stuff thats just about her and I think Ill find that a bit easier when I can just concentrate on her face.
Any pointers or advice (especially on lighting) most welcome.
Ta!
I think you need more emphasis on the hands Glo, so I think the hands need to be the centre of your focus.
Maybe try getting her to blow a kiss, holding one of her hands a couple of inches away from her face.
This will allow full focus on the nails, while using a selective DoF to retain the detail in those beautiful eyes.

Just a suggestion, but try a black background with this shot. ;)

Oh & she is a bit tasty isnt she .... but alas a mere 16!!! :eek:

:eek: that will never stand up in court...

nice shot, i kind of suck at posing stuff so i cant comment on the pose, lighting is ok but i agree about the catchlights...

Thanks for everyone's feedback ... even those who suck at posing, ;) All is appreciated here
Hacker I absolutely love what you have done with the sepia toning .... oh and my dodging & burning doesnt net me results like that... care to enlighten me as to where you used it?
I find her arm a huge distraction too ... unfortunately its where the nails sit so for the comp it has to stay but I quite fancy a crop like that for my own & model's use.

Go to atncentral and search for 'Midnight Sepia', it is an excellent plug-in/action for Photoshop which I use quite a bit for portrait and wedding shots, I tried it on a colour shot as opposed to a mono and it was a real 'WOW!' moment.

I haven't read all the comments but honestly Glo, to me I actually prefer your shot, she looks clear, her skin looks beautiful and the background really compiments the Cleopatra style of the model...I love it, I'm a girlie, I know what I like! ;)

can I suggest that the model do something with her hand? Maybe "slippping" on her arm bangle thingy. so she has one hand extended and the other holding on to the bangle to show the nails. Looks more natural?

Or fixing a veil on? You could sell it to the Press to illustrate all this nonsense about the hijab at the moment...

Just another thought - what about some henna tattoos on the hands as well? Check out the Madonna 'Frozen' video for what I mean...

Just another thought - what about some henna tattoos on the hands as well? Check out the Madonna 'Frozen' video for what I mean...
Yup! it was considered, I even had it in my bag on the day incase the parents relented but they had a big engagement party to go to so it was a no go.
I thought Id stay one step ahead though and took extra diamanties, thinking we could dot some up her fingers & use a little eyeliner in between for pretend henna .... but.... I must have purchased the only stick-on eyelashes without skin adhesive and I dont think she'd have been too happy about having diamanties stuck on her skin using nail adhesive, lol!

The hands do look kind of bare though, tut!

:woot: Woooooooooo!!!! ..... I did it!:woot:

Well almost :LOL:

Took 2nd place at GMEX yesterday with my Maria pic, and amazingly came in 3rd with my other 'Arab Lady' so Im one very happy bunny today!
Im dreading seeing the pics of the presentation as Id had just 2 hours sleep & then got stuck in the horrendous traffic on the way there when they closed the M6, so you could say I was a bit rough around the edges by late afternoon.

Popped out for a quickie in the nearby 'Slug & Lettuce' and wished Id brought my camera for a bit of candid stuff. Havent been to Manchester for ages and its so vibrant.
I also wondered how far I was from Marcel :)

The editor of one of our industry mags uttered the words 'front cover' to me again but nothing came of the last mention so I wont hold my breath, also the main judge came over just as the editor said it and mentioned how Maria's splayed fingers on her arm spoiled what would have otherwise been the winner ... Just hope the editor wasnt listening too closely.

So, not trophy to splatter spiders with in my nailsroom this time but, Im still really happy with the outcome after taking everything into consideration. (y)

Congratulation InaGlo, did you go with your original shot or did you make some changes other than the removal of the second catch light?

Well done! That's brilliant news! (y) :clap:

Hey! Well done there - Big Props (as they say on all the US Forums...)

hey, well done :)

Back