Memory Card Formats/Types (Nostalgia)

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Just been clearing out and found an old card reader, slipped my mind how many different formats there have been.
Seem to recall Sony had their own type, some sort of stick if memory serves me right
Also remember how expensive memory was too, hard to believe it was measured in MB then

If anyone still uses any of the old formats on this reader and has a use for it, let me know and i'll drop it in the post

P1002314 1.jpg

Last edited:
Still use CF (very occasionally) but have a USB3 reader. Got a 16MB CF card somewhere and used to use 128MB cards as 36 exposure film analogues since they held about 40 shots. Had a Sony Memory Stick for some reason and still have a couple of Olympus xD ones although the camera they fitted is long gone.

I had an early Olympus camera that took "Smart Media" (SM) memory cards.
I think the largest available were 64 or maybe 128 MB.
Olympus then developed (in partnership with Fuji) the Xd card, which also died a death.
I seem to remember that Fuji took either Xd or SD, so maybe thay saw the future.
Thank goodness that nearly everything these days uses a variant of SD, although I'm puzzled by the fact that Canon use two different types of card (SD & CF) on their dual slot bodies.

My first digital storage media looked rather like this:
IMG_0713.JPG

Rather than a card reader I would need a 'paper reader' for the first digital storage media I used.

paperrtape_cr.jpg

Rather than a card reader I would need a 'paper reader' for the first digital storage media I used.

View attachment 293769
And readable by eye if the need arose! (and it did, on occasion). And if it went wrong, you could repair it with sellotape.

Back