memory card recording time

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
This may not apply to all but does to my Panasonic HC-X1500 camcorder

Reading the manual the max size SD memory card for the above is 128GB, this is incorrect. My aim was to record on two cards similtanuously using 2x 256 Sandisk SD memory cards. Today the second card arrived so at last I can actually do my own check. Yes they do work together giving me 5hr 40 minuits of recording time or as in follow on mode 11HR+ recording time . The battery that comes with the above should last estimated about 6 hrs or there abouts as well, but I do have backup on that as well.

That’s a heck of lot of recoding time!
yes but soon going on a holiday to Norway- Faroe isles and Iceland and want to video as much as possible. I would rather have too much recording time than not enough. Also I will be recording on both cards at the same time as a precaution.. Last time i was in Norway I only just had enough card memory so don't want to make that mistake again
glacier in Norway
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKwRCq7gZ0

_DSC2468.jpg

Last edited:
Ooft, that is a tonne of recording time. What are the settings in camera to achieve that? I would assume that Panasonic put a "limit" on the SD card size because they can't guarantee constant recording for longer than that amount of time. Although the recording time online says 2100 minutes, there should be nothing stopping you. (Sometimes manufacturers put hard limits on products, but that's old practice these days. Are they UHS 1 or UHS 2 SD cards

Recording on two SD cards is always a good choice to help with redundancy, but I would recommend going for more, smaller memory cards that you either back up or store elsewhere. If you lose the camera for whatever reason, there goes up to 5hrs 40minutes of footage

I too go for using smaller cards plus regular backups to a device like a laptop. The more important the event, the greater number of cards. On a trip to New Zealand I used over 10 cards to spread the risk, backed up twice a day to a portable hd device, plus a laptop!

Last edited:
Ooft, that is a tonne of recording time. What are the settings in camera to achieve that? I would assume that Panasonic put a "limit" on the SD card size because they can't guarantee constant recording for longer than that amount of time. Although the recording time online says 2100 minutes, there should be nothing stopping you. (Sometimes manufacturers put hard limits on products, but that's old practice these days. Are they UHS 1 or UHS 2 SD cards

Recording on two SD cards is always a good choice to help with redundancy, but I would recommend going for more, smaller memory cards that you either back up or store elsewhere. If you lose the camera for whatever reason, there goes up to 5hrs 40minutes of footage
We are talking camcorders (professional) not cameras. the above photos from a different time and camera

NEW CAMCORDER

Absolutely no problem with that size of card. What happens or does on my Panasonic HC-X1500 . The camera automatically splits into 2 group 001 and 002. So recently I recorded 66.6GB of 179 files in 2 foldes on the same card. could record even more. Also recorded simultaniously onto 2 x SD 256 GB cards.
Out of interest all of the clips I captured others with cameras could not get due to distance involved and movement. It was a job even to see them with the naked eye

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOohLTqNJNI

Last edited:
We are talking camcorders (professional) not cameras. the above photos from a different time and camera

New camcorder

Absolutely no problem with that size of card. What happens or does on my Panasonic HC-X1500 . The camera automatically splits into 2 group 001 and 002. So recently I recorded 66.6GB of 179 files in 2 foldes on the same card. could record even more. Also recorded simultaniously onto 2 x SD 256 GB cards.
Out of interest all of the clips I captured others with cameras could not get due to distance involved and movement. It was a job even to see them with the naked eye

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOohLTqNJNI
I'm using the term camera here as a broad term, seeing as a lot of the similarities between a camcorder and a video camera relate to codecs, bitrates, etc which will affect the recording capabilities, especially to an SD card.
So I guess my question is more accurate as: what resolution, codec, and bitrate were you shooting in to get 5hr 40 out of a 128GB sd card?

I'm using the term camera here as a broad term, seeing as a lot of the similarities between a camcorder and a video camera relate to codecs, bitrates, etc which will affect the recording capabilities, especially to an SD card.
So I guess my question is more accurate as: what resolution, codec, and bitrate were you shooting in to get 5hr 40 out of a 128GB sd card?
wrong using 2x 256GB cards not 128Gb cards sikmultainously. Second card as a backup

P1051162.JPG

Last edited:
@realspeed as I've understood the question it is about which file format, resolution, frequency and bit depth you set the camera up with to achieve 5h 40min on 256GB. Thanks for the link to the manual, it's probably one of the UHD 100Mbps options on page 103 and onwards, no? I don't follow how whether the camera is a pro model or not is relevant to answering the query?

Tim you may well be right. All that really matters is how long one can video on a card for and the quality of the video. As for Doug settings question I think he is still thinking in camera terms not video

Hi @realspeed , sorry for any confusion by using the term camera. I work in video production, across many different types of hardware, from Sony's FX6 to Alexa Mini LF, and can assure you the question I asked was relevant and was coming from a place of trying to help you with your original query of whether recording onto SD cards not recommended by your camera brand would be stable or not.

Just as future reference, while a 4k 'pro camcorder' might shoot at 4k resolution, what really affects the file size and the speeds are bit depth and codec (the compression that your camcorder does internally to reduce the file size).

I've attached a screenshot to the page @TimHughes mentioned.

I'm glad you succeeded, hope you had a lovely holiday.

Attachments

• CleanShot 2022-08-24 at 09.02.49.png
    CleanShot 2022-08-24 at 09.02.49.png
    186.2 KB · Views: 9
Back