Micro Engineering

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a friend called Mick. He's an engineer. None of that big stuff for my mate Mick though, he works with small stuff. Really, really small stuff. The picture below is of something he makes.

Just to put it into perspective and to give a sense of scale, the big object is the tip of a ball point pen.

The needle thing is 0.3mm diameter and increases to 0.5mm diameter. Once Mick has made these, they go off to have a slot electro-eroded into the thick bit. Yes, they cut a slot in that .... and then they weld two bits of metal into the slot!

Amazing stuff.

micksthing.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shot.

Theres a story I heard a few years ago - Some flash American engineering company sent Rolls Royce a pin they'd machined on a nano scale. Rolls Royce weren't impressed, and sent it back with a hole drilled right through the centre :D This happened in the sixties when we could be proud of our engineering of course...

Nice shot.

Theres a story I heard a few years ago - Some flash American engineering company sent Rolls Royce a pin they'd machined on a nano scale. Rolls Royce weren't impressed, and sent it back with a hole drilled right through the centre :D This happened in the sixties when we could be proud of our engineering of course...

awesome, makes you proud to be British!

Shame we've lost a lot of it isn't it?

Back