microphone for tascam dr05

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I've just started using the tascam Dr05 to record sound for video taken on the Canon 7D
Seems to have good sound quality
Can I use one of the cheapie eBay mics that are meant for plugging into the 7D with the tascam?
the jackplug is the same
Don't want to spend a lot as I will only use it if it happens to be raining and I don't want to get the tascam wet
I've been recording birdsounds like puffins and manx sheatwaters
Am going back and this time am going to leave the recorder running overnight

Poor mics will give you poor sound. So a really cheap one may be false economy. I've a couple of lapel mics that I use with my Zoom H1 and they give good sound quality and cost around £30. Not as good as the Rode mic but good enough.

As far as using them with the Tascam check they have a stereo jack, not a mono one. A mono jack in a stereo system can give unpredictable results. I know from personal experience

Thanks mate I think you are right I would be better off getting a better Mic as I am getting more into video :)
Is the sound output from mics with a 3.5 mm plug standard , would one meant for a camcorder / dslr give the right volume when used with an external recorder like the tascam
Am new to this , so sorry for the obvious questions:D

Tascam DR-40 has line level stereo jack or Mic level XLR. You can't use a jack microphone without a pre-amp.

I'd check the level required on the input before buying.

Tascam DR-40 has line level stereo jack or Mic level XLR. You can't use a jack microphone without a pre-amp.

I'd check the level required on the input before buying.

Ahh I see thanks , glad I asked almost bought one :)

Check the Dr 5 specs, it should say what inputs it has. Then post here and people can recommend a solution.

Check the Dr 5 specs, it should say what inputs it has. Then post here and people can recommend a solution.

Good idea :)
Input impedance 25 KOhm
Nominal input level - 20 dBV
Max input level - 4 dBV

Just had a look at the Tascam web site.. The device seems to have a line/Mic input at the front of the record, so you are going to need a mic that has it's own power supply to send a line level signal to the unit.

Have a look at the Audio Technica ATR6250 . This may be satisfactory for your needs.

To be honest I'd speak to the guys at The Mic Store. I've always found them helpful and can stop you buying the wrong mic

Thanks john
The atr 6250 does look pretty good
Will have a look at the Mic store :)

I bought a lapel mic a few months back from one of these cheap stores for only £1.19 to use with my Zoom H1, I didn't think for one second that it would be any good, but I thought for just over a quid its worth having in my bag. I have used it on a few corporate interviews now and to be honest its great! Was a hell of a bargain :)

Ahhh well.

Good for you anyway :)

:) - As a note though Phil, I just had a look on a popular online auction site and they have pretty much the same ones on there for 99p with free delivery :) Got to be worth a pop at less than a quid! :)

Back