Microphone Upgrade ?

Edit My Images
Yes
So yesterday i had my first attempt at video on a family trip to the beach.

Camera was Fuji X-T3.

It was windy so i expected a bit of wind noise in the video,

but what happened is the videos are completely ruined by it with a horrible sound.

So im thinking part of the issue is the built in microphones are not up to the job in the UK outdoors where it is windy most of the time.,

So my questions are :

Will getting a dedicated microphone with the foam around it like the RODE models actually help seriously reduce wind noise.

What is the best one for under the £150 mark or are decent ones much more ?

Yes you can largely eliminate it with a dead cat style cover. (furry ones, the foam is much less effective)
The basic options are a (probably) somewhat directional shotgun mic on the camera, a cabled lavalier if you want to speak to camera, and a wireless lavalier type.
They can all be muffed against wind it works surprisingly well.
However. A lot of the time you can be better off with a completely separate sound recorder such as the H1 Zoom.
It's more versatile in several ways, but quite a bit of extra faff.
Eventually you will probably want some or all of the above.
The wireless go style would be the best all rounder to start with.
There are probably third party alternatives nearly as good much cheaper.

Last edited:
Yes you can largely eliminate it with a dead cat style cover. (furry ones, the foam is much less effective)
The basic options are a (probably) somewhat directional shotgun mic on the camera, a cabled lavalier if you want to speak to camera, and a wireless lavalier type.
They can all be muffed against wind it works surprisingly well.
However. A lot of the time you can be better off with a completely separate sound recorder such as the H1 Zoom.
It's more versatile in several ways, but quite a bit of extra faff.
Eventually you will probably want some or all of the above.
The wireless go style would be the best all rounder to start with.
There are probably third party alternatives nearly as good much cheaper.

Thanks, it looks like Audio is much more complex than i thought, i will have to do some research because quickly looking at some products and it is clear i have no clue

Back