Microphone

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Hope I am in the right forum for this. Am a bit mutton Geoff and cannot hear song birds; anything higher in pitch than a blackbird and its a no go. I was wondering if I could use a microphone attached to the top of my Nikon d7500 as a sort of locating device, similar to a parabolic mic/locator. Would only be used for still photography at the moment, so is it possible to use a mic in still mode as opposed to video mode. Any info greatly appreciated.

Cant help with your model Nikon but I dont think it will work unless your in video. You can get a para/mic from about £30 or a sony is a few hundred (prob better).
That said I'm not sure if it will help with hearing sounds above your normal hearing range. AFAIK these gadgets just boost/locate the sound, you may need something that converts the range of tones?? to be able to actually hear it, Not sure.

No, it won't. Unless it's a very expensive microphone it won't be directional enough. :(

Have you tried hearing aids? That fixed my problem a few years ago. I don't like them, but they do work. (y)

Andy
HI
maybe I can help. I have a nikon D810 and a micrphone only works in video mode to clarify one of your questions. So if you are wanting a microphone for video work there are several things to think about.
1 =do you want a directional or stereo microphone or one that does both I have a Boya SM80 which does both depending on which direction you putthe mic heads in
2 = some microphone have fixed leads and if they get damaged bang goes the mic so get one with leads that are replaceable like mine
3= Batteries some microphones have 9v square batteries not always easy to come by if out on a shoot the boya takes 2 AAA bateries
4= some microphone are bad at picking up wind rumble so a decent muffler is worth getting
5 = don 't get a microphone that sticks out behind the camera you may not be able to use the view finder.

P1050752.jpg
this is mine showing the2 mic heads that swivel- detachable lead and buttons at the back and deadcat wind muffler. volume control and batt compartment on other side.. I now use an AZden SMX30v or a Sennheiser MKE400,

If you or anyone interested in buying it let me know

Last edited:
Back