Mid Wales Red Kite trip....hotels?

Edit My Images
No
I am thinking about making a trip to Mid Wales possibly adding Tenby area into the trip but wonder if those that have visited Gigrin Farm and/or the Bwlch Nant yr Arian kite feeding station.

What I would welcome would be if anyone who has visited (both) can suggest hotels in the area that would make both sites readily accessible over different days i.e. 2 to 3 days in that overall area?

TIA for your insights & replies :)

If you intend on staying in Tenby I would suggest not going to Gigrin or Nant yr Arian,it's a fair old run from either,Llanddeusant Red Kite Feeding Station might be a better option, quite a bit closer to Tenby, cheaper (Gigrin is or was £25 entry, Llanddeusant is about a tenner and you will much closer to the birds . As for hotels, a friend of mine owns The Hildebrand towards the west of the town, right next to one of the main carparks, it's not the Ritz but it's clean and comfortable and close to the town centre.

I can only recommend one hotel, and that's the Elan Valley Hotel, near Rhayader, which will be close to Gigrin and quite close to Bwlch Nant yr Arian. The hotel has recently changed hands and undergone a recent refurb, I can't wait to go back. You will get the Elan and Claerwen Valleys too, with the huge dams and spectacular scenery on its day.

Both Gigrin and Bwlch Nant yr Arian feeding stations are a fair step from Tenby, probably close to 2.5 hours or so, maybe a bit more.

If you intend on staying in Tenby I would suggest not going to Gigrin or Nant yr Arian,it's a fair old run from either,Llanddeusant Red Kite Feeding Station might be a better option, quite a bit closer to Tenby, cheaper (Gigrin is or was £25 entry, Llanddeusant is about a tenner and you will much closer to the birds . As for hotels, a friend of mine owns The Hildebrand towards the west of the town, right next to one of the main carparks, it's not the Ritz but it's clean and comfortable and close to the town centre.
Sorry if my post was unclear.....when I said both I meant the two Red Kites centres.

Tenby would be on my list as a second centre to visit and your suggestion of hotel is welcome. The first and last time we went, we stayed at a hotel to the east of the centre/bay.

I can only recommend one hotel, and that's the Elan Valley Hotel, near Rhayader, which will be close to Gigrin and quite close to Bwlch Nant yr Arian. The hotel has recently changed hands and undergone a recent refurb, I can't wait to go back. You will get the Elan and Claerwen Valleys too, with the huge dams and spectacular scenery on its day.

Both Gigrin and Bwlch Nant yr Arian feeding stations are a fair step from Tenby, probably close to 2.5 hours or so, maybe a bit more.
Thanks for the pointers, both hotel and surrounding countryside.

Would you say there is a best(?) time of year to consider for red Kites watching,?

Sorry if my post was unclear.....when I said both I meant the two Red Kites centres.

Tenby would be on my list as a second centre to visit and your suggestion of hotel is welcome. The first and last time we went, we stayed at a hotel to the east of the centre/bay.

Thanks for the pointers, both hotel and surrounding countryside.

Would you say there is a best(?) time of year to consider for red Kites watching,?

Not really, there's tons of them in that area. It probably comes down to light rather than kite numbers. They're fed daily at the feeding stations and actually wait in the trees for the food to go out, usually around 2pm. They know they're onto a good thing.

It's probably quieter (human wise) in the winter months, which would be my preference but you have to weigh that up against the weather, or more the light, it can be pretty bleak in those parts and the kites can certainly get a shift on when diving for food.

I'd check opening times too during the winter months.

Not really, there's tons of them in that area. It probably comes down to light rather than kite numbers. They're fed daily at the feeding stations and actually wait in the trees for the food to go out, usually around 2pm. They know they're onto a good thing.

It's probably quieter (human wise) in the winter months, which would be my preference but you have to weigh that up against the weather, or more the light, it can be pretty bleak in those parts and the kites can certainly get a shift on when diving for food.

I'd check opening times too during the winter months.

PS I am also considering a trip to Scotland to see the Osprey this year :thinking:

PS I am also considering a trip to Scotland to see the Osprey this year :thinking:

There's a place up North of us, forget the name, I will look it up tomorrow. I've thought about having a go at it but tbh, the price has put me off and I'd rather do it my way but nothing against it as such.

We get quite a few Ospreys in during the season, the nests are heavily protected and rightly so, with CCTV at some.

If you can find where they catch fish though, you're in, applying fieldcraft of course.;)

Last edited:
Having been to both gigrin and nant I find the latter much better , gigrin is just a money spinner and very expensive one to . At nant you just pay for car parking and they have a superb cafe area to .

If going to Scotland then you can have two birds with one stone (forgive the pun) have a look at BellyMack Farm in Dumfries, Kite feeding every day and last time I visited last year cost was £5 and free parking, Birds fed from 1400hrs but nothing to stop going earlier and having wander the birds still circle around
Russ..

If going to Scotland then you can have two birds with one stone (forgive the pun) have a look at BellyMack Farm in Dumfries, Kite feeding every day and last time I visited last year cost was £5 and free parking, Birds fed from 1400hrs but nothing to stop going earlier and having wander the birds still circle around
Russ..

:plus1:

I can vouch for Bellymack, it's excellent. We're glamping in Dumfries and Galloway next month for 5 nights and one or two vists to Bellymack will be happening. You pay a small fee for entry and there's also a hide, which you pay a bit more for but tbh, the opportunities from the viewing platform are good enough.

Having been to both gigrin and nant I find the latter much better , gigrin is just a money spinner and very expensive one to . At nant you just pay for car parking and they have a superb cafe area to .
Thanks for the insights.....in broad terms that is why as a first time visitor to the area I thought it might be best to do both sites :thinking:
Russ..
Ah! a nice heads up and worthy of a rethink as to 'what to do'?
:plus1:

I can vouch for Bellymack, it's excellent. We're glamping in Dumfries and Galloway next month for 5 nights and one or two vists to Bellymack will be happening. You pay a small fee for entry and there's also a hide, which you pay a bit more for but tbh, the opportunities from the viewing platform are good enough.
Hopefully you will post a thread about that trip :)

FWIW re: Ospreys.....I was looking at/considering Aviemore Ospreys hide(s)

PS we live in the SE so whether Wales or Scotland it would be a holiday away. Wales can be reached in a day but driving to Scotland we would break the journey in both directions.

Lots of food for thought and once determined which trip (or trips?) to make, to sketch out a plan and dates?

Ospreys can be seen on Llyn Brenig in the Denbighshire Moors, unless 'enterprising' individuals try to destroy their nest.

Hi Box,

This is the nearest hotel to Bwlch Nant-yr-arian. It's about 2 miles away. Very close to Devils Bridge, the Rheidol gorge, Pumlumon if you fancy a quick stroll (haha!), You can also take the mountain road to the Elan Valley and Gigrin Farm if you wish.

There's also a hotel at Devils Bridge which is about three miles from Ponterwyd. And there will probably be loads of airbnb's in the area.

https://thehafod.co.uk/accomodation/

If you decide to come and would like more detailed info on the area, just let me know! Cheers, Jerry

Ospreys can be seen on Llyn Brenig in the Denbighshire Moors, unless 'enterprising' individuals try to destroy their nest.

Interesting and wonderful that Ospreys have returned there. :)

As for any miscreants who attempt or might damage the nest I sincerely hope such get caught and fined/jailed to the full extent of the law! :police: :bat::bat::bat::bat:
Hi Box,

This is the nearest hotel to Bwlch Nant-yr-arian. It's about 2 miles away. Very close to Devils Bridge, the Rheidol gorge, Pumlumon if you fancy a quick stroll (haha!), You can also take the mountain road to the Elan Valley and Gigrin Farm if you wish.

There's also a hotel at Devils Bridge which is about three miles from Ponterwyd. And there will probably be loads of airbnb's in the area.

https://thehafod.co.uk/accomodation/

If you decide to come and would like more detailed info on the area, just let me know! Cheers, Jerry
Thanks the the info and links and if we do come to the area I will, for sure, ask for more detailed info from a 'local guy ' :)

Thanks for the insights.....in broad terms that is why as a first time visitor to the area I thought it might be best to do both sites :thinking:

Ah! a nice heads up and worthy of a rethink as to 'what to do'?

Hopefully you will post a thread about that trip :)

FWIW re: Ospreys.....I was looking at/considering Aviemore Ospreys hide(s)

PS we live in the SE so whether Wales or Scotland it would be a holiday away. Wales can be reached in a day but driving to Scotland we would break the journey in both directions.

Lots of food for thought and once determined which trip (or trips?) to make, to sketch out a plan and dates?
if you decide a journey break in Cumbria suits, then Ospreys can be seen at Esthwaite water and Bassenthwaite.
There are also some at Foulshaw Moss.
I think Esthwaite water may yield the best photo opportunity.

Back