Bugs Midges

Edit My Images
No
I was sat in the garden some summers ago, with my camera on my lap, idly watching the midges flitting up and down. I noticed there were two larger midges that repeatedly moved from the far end of the garden to where I was sat.
As I watched an idea formed..........

I set the camera's focus to just about where the midges flitted to, reset the auto focus and set the camera to beep when locked on. The shutter speed was set to 1/4000th sec, the aperture to f/5.6, (the largest for my 300 mm Nikon lens); the ISO was set to 800.

When the midges flew to me I quickly focused and when I heard the beep, fired off a high speed burst, returning eight grossly under-exposed images. The first frame I shot had a very dim spot of light on it, the other seven frames were completely empty, so one MASSIVE crop and increase in exposure in post processing produced this.

hovering fly by Jeff F0gey, on Flickr

Nicely captured (y)

you did well to get anything at all. Maybe a faster shutter speed say 1/8000 if you camera is capable would possible be the better option. Small flying insects must be one of the hardest
insects to photograph

Last edited:
Nicely done

I've tried capturing small insects on the wing and never managed anything other than a blur!

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Wow, that’s amazing:)

Good capture...But....... It looks like a Hoverfly to me.

Thank you all. I was amazed at the detail on something so small, a mote of light flitting up and down. I put it down to the quality of the Nikon camera and lens.

Back