Military aircraft in flight - Shooting at the Mach Loop

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
My Dad has suggested we take a trip to the Mach Loop one day. I've seen some of the excellent shots people have taken and I think if we achieved something even half as good we'd be happy.

Apart from doing our homework as to what days/times are the best, I thought I'd better ask about equipment.

My father and I use gripped D90 bodies and would be shooting with the Nikon 70-300vr, a good lens in its own right.... but is it good enough for shooting at the loop. Is a focal length of 300mm (450mm @ 35mm) acceptable, especially with an f stop of 5.6.

I could be tempted to hire something if we needed something longer or faster.

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

I've done low level a few times. 300mm is ok at a few places.
I would suggest Cad West for your first trip. Ideally you need fast glass. Something like the 300mm 2.8.
The light can change fast, as the aircraft go from sunlight to shadows within seconds.
If anyone isn't particularly fit, then Cad East is good. But you get side/bottom shots. Still a good place though!
Most important is to be equipped for the hills. Boots, wet weather gear, food, drinks and gloves. The weather changes fast up there.
I have shot with the 70-200mm vr up Cad East. So if the weathers good and you get decent light, you will be ok with the 70-300mm.

Kev.

400mm on a full frame body is a popular combination, so 450mm effective will be just fine. Toby (brman on here - a mate of mine) uses the same lens - you can see some of his loop shots here. (I'm sure he won't mind me posting the link, but I'll remove it if it's not cricket...).

Good luck!

A 450mm lens is fine for Cad West in the morning when the light is better. This is probably the best spot for topsides as they are very close. If the light is flat I think I would stay at Cad West all day. But if it is good I would consider a trip to Corris Corner in the afternoon a but a longer lens maybe required at Corris. If you have not got a radio you need to keep a sharp look out up the valley as they can creep up on you very fast!

The pictures below was taken on a 500mm lens at Cad West on a full frame Nikon D3

And this is from Corris Corner cropped on a 500mm lens

HawkLakeweb.jpg

Cheers Rob

A 450mm lens is fine for Cad West in the morning when the light is better. This is probably the best spot for topsides as they are very close. If the light is flat I think I would stay at Cad West all day. But if it is good I would consider a trip to Corris Corner in the afternoon a but a longer lens maybe required at Corris. If you have not got a radio you need to keep a sharp look out up the valley as they can creep up on you very fast!

Hi Rob,

Other way round surely? Corris in the morning decamping to Cad West around lunchtime is the usual way around I think... But with flat light you're absolutely bang on - Cad West is an excellent place to be. Probably (arguably!) the best spot in the whole loop IMO.

I've never had my radio provide any warning of approaching aircraft either! Keeping you're eyes peeled all day is the only way... (y)

Cheers,

Jez.

Hi Rob,

Other way round surely? Corris in the morning decamping to Cad West around lunchtime is the usual way around I think... But with flat light you're absolutely bang on - Cad West is an excellent place to be. Probably (arguably!) the best spot in the whole loop IMO.

I've never had my radio provide any warning of approaching aircraft either! Keeping you're eyes peeled all day is the only way... (y)

Cheers,

Jez.

Jez you are correct. Sorry senior moment on my behalf. Corris in the morning followed by Cad West in the Afternoon.
I have heard that there is a Low Level training exercise from RAF Lakenheath in the first two weeks in April. So lookout for some F15 Eagle action around that time but avoid the Easter break and Bank Holidays

Cheers Rob

I have heard that there is a Low Level training exercise from RAF Lakenheath in the first two weeks in April. So lookout for some F15 Eagle action around that time but avoid the Easter break and Bank Holidays

Cheers Rob

Thanks for the info! But how's that for bad timing - after nearly 9 months my jobless spell ends April 2nd so I won't be able to go. Seriously thinking of doing the Exit on Tuesday though. The Wx forecast is insane for this time of year so it'd be a shame not to try... (y)

Cheers,

Jez.

This is one place I pan to get to in the next couple of years.

Will probably take me that long to have good enough kit to make it worth my while

How many aircraft do you guys see in a typical session up there? Very keen to go and have a look..

How many aircraft do you guys see in a typical session up there? Very keen to go and have a look..

Its not an airshow and it all depends where they are and which LFA they are using, as the lakes, scotland plus about 14 other LFA zones can be used. Valley is the main training ground for the Hawks, frontliners, well it all depends how lucky you are and there's a lot of waiting around.

Cad East is a good spot to start with, as its reasonable easy to get to and is good in the morning, Cad West good for the midday onwards unless its cloudy, then good all day, corris gives you shots over the lake, if the aircraft's low enough and you're good enough to capture it, but that's only for the morning, the sun gets in the wrong position midday onwards. Bwlch is another great place to get shots, the 3 shelves and the exit are worth a visit, the Spur on the other side of the road, is also a good option and blue bell hill, but you have to be quite as there's little warning.

Beware, that apart from Cad East, most of the other places require abit of effort to get to, so smokers take note and its not shorts and T-shirts either, you very exposed and the weather can change very quickly, so proper hill talking gear is a must and extra layers.

As for lenses, 300mm a minimum and will get you most shots, as mention, the faster the lens, the better chance you'll have, but if its sunny, the f5.6 should cope no problems, set shutter priority and keep shutter speed around the 1/1000-1250 sec and you should have no problems getting a few shots, that's if you see a plane or 2

I personally like the top shelf at the bwlch, some great views and a really good back drop.

Cool thanks, I'm not afraid to walk a bit further to get a better view.. done plenty of the mountains in the area but usually only ever see the back end of a plane as it's roaring away from you.. definitely worth heading down with the camera and keeping an eye out :)

Bwlch SH802167
Bwlch Exit SH795168
Corris corner SH733106
Cad West SH754139
Cad East SH755133

Mick

Going to the Mach Loop (and any other Low Fly area) is the aviation equivalent of going fishing... You can have the best kit in the world to maximise your chances but the number of aircraft you'll see is very much in the lap of the gods.

As a general rule, I tend to avoid Mondays and Fridays... This week was particularly good although I only managed to get there on Thursday so I missed the primer painted Typhoon! :(

This was shot on CadWest on Thursday afternoon and was the second of four passes by the F-15 pilots within 5 minutes (which came after a three hour blank)!

USAF F-15 Eagle by Si (Spirit Photography), on Flickr

And this is the view from CadWest...

DSCF8139resizetp.jpg

I was down there on Wednesday and we were lucky enough to have a goods days passes. Like has been said before, it's a complete lottery. I also tend to avoid Mondays and Fridays, although Monday last week was very busy, so that backs up the point. Check the weather before you go, take lots of food, drink and some warm clothes (even if it's quite a warm day), and sit down and hope for some action. (y)
This was one of mine from the Bwlch last week.

20120328_1498.jpg

Last edited:
Back