Military Aircraft shots

Name
Tommy
Edit My Images
No
Just been looking through a few shots from the last few years and wanted to share some good memories.

F-16-BW-LIGHTS3-XL.jpg

1206407776_yUbxM-XL.jpg

Tonka3-XL.jpg

Typhoon-2-XL.jpg

Tonka4-XL.jpg

Arty-3-3-1-XL.jpg

Loving these. Have seen some before but my fave has to be the A10.

fantastic shots ...agreed the use of selective colour is spot on !

Brilliant set of shots. Not much else to say about them apart from thanks for sharing. ;)

You have a good eye and technique for this subject. The first one is lovely, sinister and still but exhibiting power, -- perhaps the engine emissions in the background. Am i right in thinking that this has been processed to b&w and the port and starboard lights reintroduced? nice touch.

1 & 4 for me but they are all great shots, I thought the colouring on 1 was too insignificant and was more of a distraction, but I am new to this so ignore me:)

Love number 9. The tank buster is one of my all time favourite planes and your shot is stunning

Jason

Thanks for all the great feedback. Much appreciated :)

You have a good eye and technique for this subject. The first one is lovely, sinister and still but exhibiting power, -- perhaps the engine emissions in the background. Am i right in thinking that this has been processed to b&w and the port and starboard lights reintroduced? nice touch.

Yep, the original was quite messy as the Vertical Stablisers were all red and white. I had come back to this shot after about 6 months having overlooked it but after a bit of work glad I did it. The Nav lights were added in later, the original i PP'ed was all B&W which is not to everyones taste. Think I actualy prefer the all B&W but cannot find it anywhere on my computer!

1 & 4 for me but they are all great shots, I thought the colouring on 1 was too insignificant and was more of a distraction, but I am new to this so ignore me:)

No way, everyones opinion counts and most are different in some way. As above I think I agree with you on this one :)

Got any 'pistons'? :clap:

Presume you mean props, not so good at the slow shutter speeds with a 400mm with no IS! Something I still have to get good at. Love the props but always end up with a blurry aircraft or a static prop :thinking:

These are some of the best aircraft shots I've seen (y)

Numbers 4,8 & 9 for me but I'm more bias towards 4.

Wish I had the technique and equipment to get something like it myself. Really like your PP as well.

all very very nice............ I'll even forgive the selective colouring on some............

some absolute crackers there!

Some fantastic pics mate. :)

Think number 6 is my favorite.

Well done mate. What gear do you use?

Matt.

"WOW" these are truly amazing, can't pick a fav they are soooo good

Great set and processing. I'd be interested to know what equipment you use and what airshows these are from.

Camera is my 30D or 40D cannot remember which I used.

Lens is a Canon 400mm L. Great lens but needs good light. Use it for some WRC (Rally) events and not too good in the low light situations. Would be nice with IS also but talking big money then. I got it a few years back now when it was around £300+ cheaper than you can get it now. Would not be able to afford one these days :(

Most of these shots were taken at RIAT over the last few years. Only really use my camera there and at a few Motorsports events. Gonna try and get out a bit more this year!

Last edited:
Camera is my 30D or 40D cannot remember which I used.

Lens is a Canon 400mm L. Great lens but needs good light. Use it for some WRC (Rally) events and not too good in the low light situations. Would be nice with IS also but talking big money then. I got it a few years back now when it was around £300+ cheaper than you can get it now. Would not be able to afford one these days :(

Most of these shots were taken at RIAT over the last few years. Only really use my camera there and at a few Motorsports events. Gonna try and get out a bit more this year!

I went to RIAT for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. Struggled with the grey/ white skies though but you seem to have handled them really well. Do you have any tips for processing?

I went to RIAT for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. Struggled with the grey/ white skies though but you seem to have handled them really well. Do you have any tips for processing?

To be honest I am fairly new to anything more than cropping and sharpening. Just been playing around for the last six months trying to get better pics etc.

I always shoot in RAW as you can do so much more with the image but you have to spend time on it as looks flat out of the camera compared to a JPEG.
I personally use Light Room to do basic things. I find it easy to use changing things like curves and contrast etc. Normal flow would be to crop the image and then clone out any rubbish. Then adjust the contrast/exposure/Fill light etc until I get the desired effect. I always go over the top and get sucked into an image so tend to make mulitple exports and compare them so as not to over process an image.

Any things like selective colour I tend to use Photoshop.

With the bad weather at the last RIAT I found it gave good opportunity to get some dark moody images with interesting sky/clouds in. Was about 10 mins from leaving on the Saturday and calling it a day as the rain did not let off all morning but the afternoon was great.

Not sure if that helps at all as pretty basic stuff. I am still learning loads as I go along but I have found the best way of improving is to just play with the settings on a few images and really find what does what and what flow works for you.

Have fun :)

P.S Sorry if any spelling mistakes etc, doing this on a tiny phone screen and cannot scroll up to check!!

Wow, these are good. the only one that doesn't work for me is the A-10! My fave is without doubt the head-on Viper.

Cheesy

I LOVE the Warthog, I really miss these at the Donna Nook range. One they may be back.

Dave

Love them all , but something about the rafelle in no6 just oozes beauty

Last edited:
Loving that first photo!

Back