Milk Sir? Ooh yes please, just a splash.

Edit My Images
No
This took many attempts as I couldn't be bothered to cobble together some funky flash triggering system this time.
It also made quite a mess, but I think the results are worth it. Tell me what you think.

IMG_9202.jpg

IMG_9224.jpg

IMG_9244.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg

IMG_9249.jpg

IMG_9274.jpg

I think you've caught the splashes really well :clap: Not too keen on #2 with the full stream though! (y)

Really like all of these!You've caught the spashes really well!
I need to give this a try.

Don't mean to hi Jack your thread but I tried to do water drops last week with my 350d and my Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro but just couldn't get it to focus correctly. Do you think it is possible to do this with the lens I have of do I need a different lens?
Thanks
Dave

You should be able to do it with your lens. I used my Canon 55-250mm to do these at about 100mm.
The trick is to place something with a high contrast on the surface where you expect the drop to land. I used the multicoloured plastic straw I was using to release the drops. Use AF to get good focus on this point, once focus has been attained, let go of the shutter trigger without taking the shot and then switch the lens to manual focus.
I also closed the aperture down to about f11 give a bit of a deeper DOF.
These shots were taken at 100mm, f11, 1/200 with the flash in manual mode at 1/64th power. The flash was also set about 500mm away and to the left of the subject.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
You should be able to do it with your lens. I used my Canon 55-250mm to do these at about 100mm.
The trick is to place something with a high contrast on the surface where you expect the drop to land. I used the multicoloured plastic straw I was using to release the drops. Use AF to get good focus on this point, once focus has been attained, let go of the shutter trigger without taking the shot and then switch the lens to manual focus.
I also closed the aperture down to about f11 give a bit of a deeper DOF.
These shots were taken at 100mm, f11, 1/200 with the flash in manual mode at 1/64th power. The flash was also set about 500mm away and to the left of the subject.

I hope that helps.

Thanks alot for that, so I don't necessarily need to use the macro setting on the lens? I think ill have another go tomorrow:)

Back