Milky Dye Drops

Edit My Images
No
Have a crack for the first time wiht Milk and Dye together.
Shot with a 1DMKIII+100mm Macro+580EX, Milk from Somerfield ;)

milk_drop6.jpg

milk_drop3.jpg

milk_drop1.jpg

More from the session in my Blog

Amazing shots! i tried to photograph water drops using a 350D, 100mm macro, and a 430exii. I gave up after 50 blurred photo graphs of nothing in particular

thanks guys
Here is a set up shot...

splashset.jpg

I used a squeezy bottle for the drops. I had pre-focussed on a chopstick that I put in the middle of the bowl.

Love 2 :clap: Shame the dye in the milk is cropped off (but that's being REALLY picky)

How many did you take to get these?

fantastic shots....

Shot 2 is simply fantastic....
Thanks for the photo of the set up as I fancy having a go at this myself!

Cheers, I think the second shot I cropped like that, it may have the full dye not cut but I expect it would come out a very weird crop ratio.

Once you get the hang of it is quite easy to get the shots, I'd say 1 in 5 as the splash is so unpredictable. I also have airline and a valve but couldn't be bothered to set that up last night. Maybe give it a go tonight.

Yes the drops were coloured Milk using food dye.

I dropped into undyed milk to start with then as more drops hit the milks changes colour.

Gonna try Yellow, Green and blue tonight.

Yes the drops were coloured Milk using food dye.

I dropped into undyed milk to start with then as more drops hit the milks changes colour.

Gonna try Yellow, Green and blue tonight.

Though it was dyed milk, always looks nice and 'plasticy' if that makes sense :thinking:

This may sound like a silly question, but what sort of milk did you use - semi-skinned, full fat, etc?

Reason for asking is that I imagine that the different types of milk would have different reactions when hitting the surface.

This may sound like a silly question, but what sort of milk did you use - semi-skinned, full fat, etc?

Reason for asking is that I imagine that the different types of milk would have different reactions when hitting the surface.

I used Green Top.

I was thinking to myself how to make more solid as I have an idea I want to try out, maybe adding sugar?

I'm buggered if I can get that to work yet!

Haha, you'll be sorted with a valve and whatnot. Just set a fast stream of droplets up, but hold a jug in the flow between shots to allow the water to settle. If you can get spouts, as you have just showed, just do the same again :D

Fantastic set. Love the vivid colours. Love the simple colours in the 3rd shot. Awesome.
PS some really amazing shots on your blog too! Really like the Grey Heron and Chinese New Year shots.

here you go #2 cropped a bit wider to get the full circle in.

milk_drop2a.jpg

Also a couple more I was playing with from tonight

milk_drop12.jpg

milk_drop13.jpg

Back