Milky Way Aldeburgh

The light pollution is an issue there. I've had best results (the few times I've had a go) in really dark places. Trouble is on the rare occasion we get clear skies here in South Wales it tends to be windy and it's an hours drive to the nearest half decent dark sky area.
I'm certainly no expert though. Theres some on here who can advise you a lot better.

Looks like a combination of some light pollution and not completely dark skies.

When did you take it and at what time?

Certainly got a nice foreground subject though.

Looks like a combination of some light pollution and not completely dark skies.

When did you take it and at what time?

Certainly got a nice foreground subject though.
Last Saturday at about 00:30 just after moonset.

I really like that, I’m no expert at all but the processing in the 2nd one has made a huge difference. Excellent shot.

I really like that, I’m no expert at all but the processing in the 2nd one has made a huge difference. Excellent shot.
Many thanks - it's certainly helped bring out the Milky Way and stars. I will definitely be having another attempt at a different location. I hadn't realised how much effort needs to go into astro landscape photography with the planning and then hoping the weather plays ball on the chosen night

I had no idea why the Milky Way was so called. You know when you see a picture and you suddenly realise...? Nice foreground and explanatory Milky Way shot. Looks good to me - I really need to investigate further though!

I had no idea why the Milky Way was so called. You know when you see a picture and you suddenly realise...? Nice foreground and explanatory Milky Way shot. Looks good to me - I really need to investigate further though!
As I said this is my first attempt so plenty of YouTube watching - I found PhotoPills to be helpful. I also received advice from another photographer who suggested treating it like sunset shots in that those images with foreground interest hold the interest much more than just a picture of a sky

As I said this is my first attempt so plenty of YouTube watching - I found PhotoPills to be helpful. I also received advice from another photographer who suggested treating it like sunset shots in that those images with foreground interest hold the interest much more than just a picture of a sky

Certainly better, yes.

What settings did you shoot at? And how many images?

It's a single image 15secs ISO 2500 using Samyang 14mm @F2.8 on a Canon R7

Sounds pretty good. Maybe shooting 6-12 images for stacking might give you a bit more room for editing and keeping a cleaner image with more detail.

I use Sequator on the PC. There is a Mac equivalent I think.

It's a beautiful foreground piece. The time of year, light pollution and the moon probably didn't help you here. Keep this foreground in mind for more astro images, circling it to find a good nightscape sky.

Back