Milky way and a spot of light painting from last weekend

Amazing picture in #1 - nothing really to add over & above the comments already... Have you ever used exposure stacking as I've been toying with that idea myself to get longer effective exposures / less noise, but without blurring?
Thank you :). I've had a look into it but not experimented myself. I'm very limited to the time I get to take these sort of pics so I just get out and snap a few. Definitely worth a look though. Think you can get a tracking device that rotates to follow the movement of the stars allowing you to take minutes of exposure and still keep the stars sharp

Yeah - I think it would be a composite but at least you could expose for the land on a longer exposure than would work for the stars...
Yeah totally agree and that would be the best of both worlds. I guess as long as your handy enough with PS then you could create some breathe taking images

I'm rubbish at PS, but I recently discovered something called luminosity masks which has made a real difference to how I use PS - from that point on, it all becomes non-destructive (a bit like lightroom).
I'm the same to be honest. Only use it for clone stamping and B+W conversions. I will now have to look into luminosity masks though ;-)

Absolutely love Photo #1, wish the skies round here were dark enough for this kind of photography!

Cheers Mart. I'm guessing your in Manchester?. I am too but am lucky enough to get to the Isle of Wight often. North wales has some nice dark skies and is only an hour or so away. Just need to get a night without bloomin clouds lol

Cheers Mart. I'm guessing your in Manchester?. I am too but am lucky enough to get to the Isle of Wight often. North wales has some nice dark skies and is only an hour or so away. Just need to get a night without bloomin clouds lol

Yes I am mate, in Altrincham so marginally better than the inner city in terms of light pollution but still not great. Hoping to get down to Cornwall in August as my mum has a cottage down there and seen some fantastic shots of the milky way over St Michael's mount which is a walk away from the cottage. How is North Wales for light pollution?

Yes I am mate, in Altrincham so marginally better than the inner city in terms of light pollution but still not great. Hoping to get down to Cornwall in August as my mum has a cottage down there and seen some fantastic shots of the milky way over St Michael's mount which is a walk away from the cottage. How is North Wales for light pollution?

Ahh, I'm in heald green so not to far from you :). Cornwall should be spot on and by august it's nice and high in the sky. Especially near the coast. North wales should be great although it's been cloudy every trip I've had over this year haha. Hoping this weekend will be ok over there as we are due a meteor shower as well :)

Back