Milky way arch panorama

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
My first ever try at a milky-way arch pano. Needs loads more practice with stitching software as its looking awful with the banding and been a complete ball-ache. Taken on 25-5-23 over Delabole slate quarry in Cornwall. Using Canon 600D samyang 14mm f2.8
10 panels of 10 images each 13 secs at 6400iso. Dark calibration frames added.
Stitched in Microsoft ICE and processed in Photoshop cs4.
I tried photomerge in photoshop but it didnt stitch with end and gave the core part of the milky-way a tighter curve than is in real life. I did make sure each image overlapped nicely enough.
Need more trials to get it correct but I've been trying for days, so having a break now. Took some milky-way core images so will process them.
Lee

Attachments

• Milky-Way-Arch-25-5-23_copy_5074x1344.jpg
    Milky-Way-Arch-25-5-23_copy_5074x1344.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I tried various software when I first started doing Milky Way pano’s. In the end I decided it was worth spending a little money on PTGui. I find photoshop and even the pretty good Microsoft ICE don’t do as well.

This is a nice pano if you can get it to blend.

Personally I just do white balance and a little brightness adjustment first. Then export and merge and do the main edits on the stitched pano.

It can be a frustrating game!

I try not to over edit in Lightroom for panoramic arches. I also found Affinity better than Photoshop and Lightroom for stitching them together.

Might be worth playing with vignetting and/or lens corrections in your situation with your lenses before stitching.

I tried various software when I first started doing Milky Way pano’s. In the end I decided it was worth spending a little money on PTGui. I find photoshop and even the pretty good Microsoft ICE don’t do as well.

This is a nice pano if you can get it to blend.

Personally I just do white balance and a little brightness adjustment first. Then export and merge and do the main edits on the stitched pano.

It can be a frustrating game!

I try not to over edit in Lightroom for panoramic arches. I also found Affinity better than Photoshop and Lightroom for stitching them together.

Might be worth playing with vignetting and/or lens corrections in your situation with your lenses before stitching.
Thank you guys.
I did take a pano the previous nights in landscape orientation and no sign of the dark bands. Whether this was because of more overlap or the vignetting not being an issue I'm not sure. Plus photomerge in photoshop stitched them all nicely together and no bits left over like in portrait orientation.
I have tried all sorts of lens correction setting d for my lens but a no go.
Will try again next year.

Lee

Back