Milky Way from Agia Galini harbour wall.

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
Not the best on the forum but the best I managed! Tiredness and alcohol combined with not ideal equipment didn't help but a bad workman... ;)

Fuji X-T1 with 18mm f/2. Wide open with 13-20 second exposures.

DSCF3888.jpg DSCF3893.jpg
DSCF3897.jpg

DSCF3898.jpg

Will probably take the D750 with the Tamron 14mm f/2.8 next year and hang the weight restriction! Didn't use the long lens in the South so will be happy with the Nikon for MW shots and a compact for most other stuff.

Is that the sea at the bottom? It looks a bit odd, especially in 2 and 3. I'd have aimed a bit higher and cut out the bottom bit. Apart from that little crit, those two shots are pretty impressive to me.

Yup, it's the sea, hence the Starboard navigation light streaking across the bottom of 3. I could (should!) have probably got away with ISO 1600 rather than 800 but wanted to keep noise down as much as possible. On reflection, high ISO noise would probably have been better than LE. Accurate framing was a bit difficult since I couldn't make out the horizon through the EVF. It was a case of shoot, review, reaim and hope! The Tamron 14mm has focus distance markings and physical focus linkages so I'll be able to preset focus and tape it off (the Fuji 18mm is all fly by wire...) 14mm on FF will also be a little (!) wider than 18mm on a 1.5x crop.
At a guess, the images would probably be better had I shot in raw - or at lest I would have had a bit more room for playing with the exposures! I did have a go a couple of nights later, using the 10-24 but at f/4, the 2 stop loss combined with an extra day of Moon growth (and a later Moon set [I still get tired early]) didn't give useable results - I live and learn!!! We had also had a fairly liquid dinner before the 1/2 decent shots so walking along the narrowish harbour wall was NOT a good idea, although it would have got the cliffs out of shot.
Really screwing 3 for all it's worth gets the horizon just about visible but doesn't do the image any favours at all!

DSCF3897c.jpg

Back