Milky Way from Sussex

Name
Steve Webb
Edit My Images
Yes
Trying to find anywhere really dark in the SE is nie-on impossible, even the dark sky site at Beachy Head has loads of ambient light from the buildings there, and across the channel in France. To escape this you really need to get on the Isle of Wight or anywhere west of it. This photo was taken from Hope Gap near Seaford Head, East Sussex and is a single exposure using a Nikon D500, Tokina 11-16mm zoom, set at 11mm, f/2.8, 25 Seconds, ISO 3200. The beach was torch lit for a couple of seconds during the exposure.

1 by Stephen Webb, on Flickr

"Excellent" sky/seascape style capture Steve, liking this one very much.

Great picture Steve. That's something I'd like to see and maybe have a go at photographing one day :D

Great picture Steve. That's something I'd like to see and maybe have a go at photographing one day :D
Unfortunately seeing it with the naked eye is very difficult in most of England due to light pollution, I even struggled in Mallorca where it's a lot darker, it looks like cloud at best. I had to use the Night AR in PhotoPills to work out where to point the camera, thankfully the sensor is a lot more sensitive than the human eye :(

That is lovely!

The light pollution from France though - wow!

Very nice indeed :)

Thats an excellent image, keep meaning to have a go at the Milky Way myself, this has inspired me to give it a go.

Stunning image. I agree with you in trying to find a good area to image the milky way without the LP from houses and other towns. I live in North Cornwall and even in Bortle 3 struggle with some LP to the south from neighbouring towns and even the village high st. Hopefully in May I will try again when the MW is higher. I'm just processing a pano one with my kit lens at 18mm but really need a nice wide fast lens and not big enough pockets to buy it haha.
Lee

Stunning image. I agree with you in trying to find a good area to image the milky way without the LP from houses and other towns. I live in North Cornwall and even in Bortle 3 struggle with some LP to the south from neighbouring towns and even the village high st. Hopefully in May I will try again when the MW is higher. I'm just processing a pano one with my kit lens at 18mm but really need a nice wide fast lens and not big enough pockets to buy it haha.
Lee
Thanks Lee, it is hard work here in the SE, even if you do find a dark sky, there's always something to spoil it. I've recently bough a Star Tracker so hopefully I'll get some better images with longer exposures, and start getting into editing more. Just need a clear night when I'm off work, now. Mind, the way it's been recently a clear night will be a good start. Off to Mallorca in early May and I'm taking it with me, so here's hoping for some decent opportunities

Thanks Lee, it is hard work here in the SE, even if you do find a dark sky, there's always something to spoil it. I've recently bough a Star Tracker so hopefully I'll get some better images with longer exposures, and start getting into editing more. Just need a clear night when I'm off work, now. Mind, the way it's been recently a clear night will be a good start. Off to Mallorca in early May and I'm taking it with me, so here's hoping for some decent opportunities
It's an amazing image indeed and being on a static tripod all the better. You'll definitely get the opportunity when you are in holiday and the star tracker is a nice small piece of kit to take too.
Your f2.8 lens really pulled out some details. I wonder if it's better for now to try for a f2.8 or still save up for a lower one.
Good luck MW hunting on holiday.
Lee

Such a great capture to see in the SE. Initially seeing the image I thought it was the sunset :D or two blended images. I have only seen the milky way once here in the UK and was so gutted I didn't have the DSLR with me.

Back