Milky Way

Great work well done :)

Very nice Steve (y)

That's pretty good attempt actually. Milky Way looks nice (at this size at least). Composition, yeah that's pretty much it. There aren't many alternatives as far as I could see. Light-painting is a little flat and obviously that's because it is near enough the equivalent of on camera flash. You don't have many options at side lighting. You could maybe get someone to walk over with a very faint light, or perhaps do time blend.

It is shame to admit I tried just that a few days ago and it was just a bit cloudy and hazy in the wrong spots and I left with essentially nothing.

That's pretty good attempt actually. Milky Way looks nice (at this size at least). Composition, yeah that's pretty much it. There aren't many alternatives as far as I could see. Light-painting is a little flat and obviously that's because it is near enough the equivalent of on camera flash. You don't have many options at side lighting. You could maybe get someone to walk over with a very faint light, or perhaps do time blend.

It is shame to admit I tried just that a few days ago and it was just a bit cloudy and hazy in the wrong spots and I left with essentially nothing.
Thanks for the feedback , as that was my first attempt at light painting can you explain what you mean by a time blend ?

Nicely done, it can be tricky to get an even lighting with painting but you’ve done well here. It might be nice to have a bit more foreground. Sometimes I use the torch on the foreground with live view on to frame up, or take a couple of shots with really high iso just to make sure the framing is as I want, then take the “real” image.

Thanks for the feedback , as that was my first attempt at light painting can you explain what you mean by a time blend ?
I imagine you take a shot before it's totally dark and leave the camera there till the night sky is up. That's probably the easiest.
You can obviously go into total sky replacement that allows you to move around a little or even mix separate days with moonlight, etc. The limit is your imagination and time available

Nicely done, it can be tricky to get an even lighting with painting but you’ve done well here. It might be nice to have a bit more foreground. Sometimes I use the torch on the foreground with live view on to frame up, or take a couple of shots with really high iso just to make sure the framing is as I want, then take the “real” image.
Thanks for the tips Alan , still very much a novice at this genre but really enjoying the challenge

You've nailed it with this one. It's stunning and your light painting is amazing. I've just started out light painting too and doesn't look as good as yours.
Great job

Back