RKC

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure where else to ask

How can you find out what time it will be visible, like date and 2am,9pm

Tried searching on webbut I just cannot sem to find the info :(

You've missed the best part for this year. Unless you head to the southern hemisphere.
Normally July-sept is the best for us in blighty

Strictly speaking though pretty much everything you see when looking up is in the milky way

Summer months are best, through cygnus is one of the better bits. A program called stellarium is pretty handy.

Bob, as Jimmyjamjojo has suggested download Stellarium - http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/

It is free and can be set for any location on the Earth and with it you can see when the Milky Way is best placed for you.

Dave

through cygnus is one of the better bits ?? not sure what you mean cheers

You need a dark site and a night with no moon, it is richer through the late summer when the rift through the constellation of Cygnus is visible and the bright parts such as the star cloud around Scutum can be seen, particularly if you have a very clear southern horizon. In autumn and winter it is still visible but less dramatic. An absence of light pollution is helpful.

The Milky Way appears as a band the circles all of the sky. It brightest parts of the Milky Way are in the general direction of the constellations Scutum and Sagittarius. These constellations are never very high in the sky from the UK, so although we get a bit of a view of these areas the views aren't the best. The brightest parts of the MW that are easily visible from the UK are in the direction of the constellation of Cygnus, which is high in the sky in late summer/autumn. As Adrian has said a dark site and no or very little moon are essential.

DVE

Thank you all for the replies and informative information, downloading stellarium as I type

Back