Beginner Mini tripod

Name
Roy Newport
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,I'm after a mini tripod to hold my canon 5d mkiii any recommendations?many thanks Roy.

Roy, exactly what do you mean by 'mini'? Are you after a short tripod like Terry has suggested or a tabletop tripod? And what's the largest lens you use on your 5D?

Manfroto pixi table top tripod holds my 5D ok with up to weight of 24-70 as long as one of the tripod legs is directly under the lens.

I have both the BeFree One and Pixi models, both very stable and easy carry abouts. Very happy with them. The BeFree One folds down to just over 30cm but not particularly lightweight, It holds my 5D2 comfortably with the 70-200 f/4 IS when needed. The Pixi is used an my pocket pod when out with my EOS M and 22mm pancake for street type shotting. The addition of a QR grip on the M and QR plate on the Pixi makes a very stable platform.

Thank you,I'm after one I can carry around and put up on a wall or surface to take a long exposure.

I've used the pixi successfully for that. Very small, fits in the pocket.

The Pixi is a good little tripod - I have one but use it mainly as a flash stand - but my favourite is the Novoflex Basic Ball, currently with a Pig Iron ball head. It's considerably larger and heavier than a Pixi but the added strength and versatility makes up for that for me.

The Pixi is a good little tripod - I have one but use it mainly as a flash stand - but my favourite is the Novoflex Basic Ball, currently with a Pig Iron ball head. It's considerably larger and heavier than a Pixi but the added strength and versatility makes up for that for me.
That looks really interesting. Might be ideal for ground level shots with my 5D2 + x1.4TC + 70-200 f/4 IS combo for shooting local cricket games! Fixed set up with remote sit back in chair and second nody handheld to cover changed ends and fielding [emoji41]

Not sure whether I will be doing it this summer as I am in Ireland mid April onwards but that said, there is a serious interest in cricket in Ireland which may grow if the they get Test status.

Thanks for that

,Steve

Manfrotto says the Pixi can handle up to 1kg. The Pixi Evo can take up to 2.5kg. Bear this in mind if mounting heavier camera/lens combos

I find the PIXI doesn't hold my 5Dmkiii well with anything other than a small prime. At least, not if trying to shoot at an angle.

Maybe there are differences in the product, mine works well. Try in the shop before you buy?

Agreed, it does depend on what you use with it. The 5Dmkiii weighs 860grams so thats quite close to the 1KG max that Manfrotto suggest, and that without a lens of course. I find I can only use a small non L prime on mine if i expect it to stay put at an angel.

Ive not tried the EVO version though, but that seems to hold over double the weight.

I think the Pixi is fantastic; I wasn't aware of the Evo, cheers! As others have said, the Pixi can be at its limits with a DSLR and anything other than a small prime.

I've just bought the Gorillapod zoom SLR (£40)

I've added Jessops own mini ball head I saw in the clearance section last week for £14.97.

Perfectly portable

Back