Minolta 50mm f1.7 - opinions please!?

Name
Gus Alston
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I'm looking at buying this lens, and would appreciate any opinions on how good it is.

I'm interested in exactly how shallow depth of field is possible - if anyone has any photos taken with it that I can look at then that'd be even more useful!

Also - What might the differences be between pictures taken with the 50mm part of my other two lenses? (18-70mm Sony 'kit' lens, and Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 LD IF Aspherical Macro)

I use a Sony Alpha 100 and it's my first ever SLR, so I'm a beginner.
Any advice that I can get would be really useful.

With Thanks in advance
Gus Alston

http://flickr.com/photos/alstongus/
A link to my Flickr site, although you can only see the public photos. I work with kids so most of my photos are private for obvious reasons.

I bought the Minolta off of Ebay earlier this year for my Alpha 100. The 18-70 Sony kit lens is ok-ish but not a patch on this 50mm 1.7 for sharpness and clarity. I can't post up any photos as I'm at work at the minute without access to any, but the lens is worth while getting hold of if you can.

You should see a huge difference due to the larger aperture which will really reduce depth of field the closer you get.

This is pretty close with my Canon 50mm 1.4

round06_11.jpg

This is more the sort of effect you get at portrait distances. The lens will really pop out your subjects from the background.

Macro_setup.jpg

Back